Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

New naso eating - how long???

I've heard these turkeys can take a bit to acclimate to a new home and start eating. Got a 5"er in my 29g QT tank. Got 4 b/g chromis in there with him and about 20lbs of rock. No ammonia issues, thank goodness.

Still, he's been in there for 3 days and I've seen no sign of him eating. I've put clips of algae sheets in, but I've never seen him go to it. The algae is gone when I check back, but you know that stuff can get real soft and almost disolve - I think. Then again, I see no signs of leftover either. Gotta check the filtration more closely. He's out swimming around all the time until I walk in the room when he hides behind rocks.

Tell me your experiences with your new nasos and what may have worked for you. And how loooong did it take?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
I've never personally owned a Naso Tang;however; my yellow tang took about 6 days before he decided to take his first bite of algae in the tank. It had me terrified because I thought forsure that he was going to die. I must have used every possible food I could find at any LFS but nothing worked. Over time, he just sort of came to. Sorry that I can't offer any tips to this, but the only thing I could say would be to just keep feeding in small amounts (not to spike your amonia) and hopefully he'll come to and stuff his face.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I had a similar experience with my YT (don’t have naso either). Was interested in the frozen food by the 2rd day but wouldn’t touch the nori on the clip till the 5th day.

I also noticed that it eats Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies more quickly then Seaweed Salad.

Both products get pretty limp after 2+ hours and I remove from the tank if not completely eaten. My YT is 5” and will eat a 2” by 3” strip every day. It sometimes pulls the sheet from the clip in it’s exuberance to eat and I have to reattach. By the 2nd month it would eat the nori straight from my hand

A 5” tang should be able to go for a week without eating anything as long as it’s healthy. Have you tried soaking the nori in tank water with a couple of drops of Kent Garlic Extreme?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #4
steve-s

This species of tang will prefer brown types of algae over green or red but you can try them all. For brown, try to find Marine Seaweed Selects, Shirakiku wakame or similar.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My naso was the same way. He eventually took flake before anything. Now he destroys nori. Never has cared for any frozen meaty foods.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Marine Seaweed Selects, Shirakiku wakame or similar.
Find them where?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If your lfs doesn’t have them they are available online: Marine Seaweed Selects & Wakame Seaweed dried

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I got the Marine Seaweed selects in red and green already. Just habg in there w/those, huh?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Blue tang, similar situation..
Took to frozen after a few days, seaweed selects after 5 or so...

I too got a little worried, but he's become king of the tank now
Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
I can hand feed ours.......it will do fine.....It has a caring person to watch over it.

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eating, long, naso

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com