Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Change of plans...I may go acrylic for the light stand. I just spent 1.5hours with some aluminum bar stock, a hacksaw, and a hand drill...NOPE!

Too much work trying to cut by hand, then drill holes for the angles and whatnot, and then find I am off by 2mm (which cause misalignment).

Jeeze!

I can buy acrylic on ebay and have the seller make up to 5 cuts for free. A base that will fit the 7.5g cube made of 0.5in acrylic plus some 0.5in supports glued together ought to hold the light.

Man, just wasted $30.00! on screws and aluminum... At least now I know! Hand tools just dont cut the mustard! At least I can use some of it to fix the fan to the heatsink when that junk comes. Thank GOD for those thermal adhesive pads from nano! Theres NO WAY Id do this if I had to drill and tap 16 holes! I hate not having tools...Hand tools...Pshhh!

One day when i am a successful engineer, I will have an advanced tool shop!

As for arduino, I will have to learn it as well. I just see that its a promising thing to get involved with. Should be a fun side project after the light is up and running!

Matt

Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know I think gobies are not that great. i have tried and failed three times. I did not quarantine the first one and he lived the longest. But dies after 6 months. Then I got a shark nose and he died after a month. Then got another neon and he died after a month. The last 2 I quarantined and did everything your suppose to. I dont know what the deal with them is but I have had no luck.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
I spent over 20 hours for my EOH project (little science fair thing at U of I) using a dinky drill and one of those "drill press attachments" trying to drill perpendicular holes into conduit piping.. That said, when I get enough money, and save enough (need to stop buying fish for awhile) the first thing I will buy is a nice dewalt cordless drill, then I will buy a drill press. My gosh do those things make life easy.. Then the router, chop saw, rip saw, scroll saw, router table.. the works :P
Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101 View Post
I spent over 20 hours for my EOH project (little science fair thing at U of I) using a dinky drill and one of those "drill press attachments" trying to drill perpendicular holes into conduit piping.. That said, when I get enough money, and save enough (need to stop buying fish for awhile) the first thing I will buy is a nice dewalt cordless drill, then I will buy a drill press. My gosh do those things make life easy.. Then the router, chop saw, rip saw, scroll saw, router table.. the works :P

Word...

Matt
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Where did this project go? I just got my heatsink in today. I'm gonna beat you if you dont hustle.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha, I ALSO got my heatsink in today and just got done drilling it for the splash guard. I have the fan installed on it as well. Just need to put the LEDs on via the thermal adhesive pads, connect the meanwell and a battery to dim the leds (wont power up without some voltage across the dimming wires)

First light tonight!
Pics to come soon...
Matt
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Noice! This heatsink is a lot taller then i thought. I'm going to have to cut it down to get it to fit in the stock hood.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seems Im just a few days behind. Ordered 6 white 6 rb cree's 2 buckpucks and a supply for my 10gal. hopefully be here by the end of the week. Ill post a log aswell and compare to you guys
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I decided to get XP-Es and XP-Gs, did you decide on moonlights yet?
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DONE!

Man is this thing bright! I have it sitting over my poor lil 2.5g pico at 30% power and its bright. I need to move it up some though as the colors dont mix that well sitting just 1.5in from the surface. Oh well, I designed it for my soon to be 7.5g rimless cube. Should be much better. I will be building a stand for the light soon.

I went all out with this one. I even bought a drill press to drill holes in things! (I have been needing one very badly for some time though).

Here are the pics! Hard to get a good pic of the tank with light...Still a work in progess. No moon lights as of yet, but that may change later. Got to optimize this for my new tank (when it arrives).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	24449   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	24450  

Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	24451  

Tags
led, pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com