Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good. I went with R2 moonlights with the moonphase controller. I like mine. Cost 60 total. Aquacave has them with 4.95 shipping.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Lookin good. I wish PAR meters weren't so darn expensive. It would be really nice to get some comparisons on all of our fixtures.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would love to test. My local group has one but the guy that technically owns it also owns a mh cooling company. So the meter seems to be in use everytime I ask for it.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure about PAR, but the light looks much more intense than the PC I had over the 2.5g. I have to keep it at 30% power because it hurts my eyes to look at when at 60% (using battery power for now until I build a regulator +voltage divider).

I figure if 60% is too much for me, its too much for the tank. Once my 7.5g gets here (tomorrow) I should be fine at 60% or more.

I altered the LED placement for better mixing. Now the blue and whites are staggered on each row. Much better coloring now...

Matt
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Any changes you do, I would do slowly. I would keep it at a % that you think is underlit to begin with, and bump it up 5-10% every week. Its much harder to unbleach coral then it is to live with a dimmer tank for a couple weeks.
LEDs put out a much more concentrated and higher intensity light wave then PCs and most aquarium lights, it more then just how bright they are that coral has to adjust to.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm....I wonder if the 30% power is too much? Wont corals begin spitting up their algaes when they are getting too much light? I could always drop the lights down to 15% on...

Matt
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yay, my tank came in today. Ive got the sand, rocks, and water in there now. I added some live rubble from my other tanks to help get it going.

Im kinda worried about the safety here though. Looking at the rimless tank, I cant help but wonder if the thing is safe? 7g of water on the floor will piss off my neighbors (again).

Its on top of my dressor right now. I dont know how level it is really, but the level application on my phone shows its level. (Not 100% though). How careful must I be with this tank? Does the fact that its only holding 6-7gallons mean I can worry less about it? When these things fail, do they just explode? 8O The glass is pretty thick, but I am worried about the seems and the fact that its not 100% level. (The "bubble" is in the circle, but not centered precisely).

Whew! Pics to come when the water clears up. (Despite 100g worth of rinsing the dry aragonite sand).

Matt
Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Could you post some close ups of your wiring on the actual LEDs? I'm almost positive I know how to wire them up, but I don't want to blow it up. Probably easier to take pics with them off :p. I'm doing mine tonight, provided I don't hit any snags.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
I kept the wiring simple since I decided not to control both colors independently. I just made one long series string of 8. Positive to negative, positive to negative...

Here is a picture of them close up, lights off.

I changed the layout to:
B-W-B-W
W-B-W-B

I just held the light over my new 7.5g tank at 30% and WOW is it nice! The light spread is much much better! I am excited to see how well its lit up at just 30%!

Good luck!
Matt
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	24480  

Tags
led, pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com