Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Thats perfect. Just what I needed. What gauge wire did you end up using?

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Thats perfect. Just what I needed. What gauge wire did you end up using?
Hmmm...I think its 18awg. Its wire from an old t5 light. I picked solid wire over stranded so that I could lay the wires straight and solder.

Make sure to use a high wattage soldering iron, as the stars heatsink the heat very well making it difficult to solder at low temperatures.

Matt

Old 07-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now that the light is almost done (still need to fix a support for it so it either sits on the 7.5g or hangs over) I need to settle on a fish.

I am planning for just one fish. Im done with gobys as they just die. I am considering a Canary Yellow Blenny. Saltwaterfish.com has them from ORA as well as a 15 day guarantee.

Could this be a good choice for my 7.5g tank? (12in cube). Ive got the tank cycling right now and will have an awful lot of live rock. (Got about 8lbs of dry base rock right now and will be adding 8lbs of live rock really soon. 1in sand bed, aragonite. I plan to have plenty of corals and invertibrates (sexy shrimp, snails, crabs).

Sound good?

Matt
Old 07-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure on the blenny, if i recall they like to swim and dart in and out of the rock a lot. Might be too small, wait for someone with blenny experience.

What wattage iron did you use? I have people telling me you have to go high, and people saying stay low, so you don't overheat the diode.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine is a 50w weller temperature controlled iron. I believe I had the iron up to 320C (maxes at around 450C).

It is true that you can overheat the diode, but since its on an aluminum star, it is unlikely if you move quick. Too low a temperature can still be too high for the diode and lead to damage from being hot too long. (Waiting to melt the solder).

Its best to melt the solder fast, solder, then remove heat fast rather than take awhile to melt the solder and subject the diode to prolonged heat. The CREE datasheet ought to have a maximum temperature for soldering with a given exposure time.

I made sure that my diode was fixed to the heatsink via the thermal adhesive pad before soldering.

Matt

Tags
led, pico, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com