New Protien Skimmer/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello my protien skimmer is not very usefull right now I have a SeaClone and it is constantly getting clogged and pruducing very little waste. I was wondering what protien skimmers you would suggest. I closed circut tank with no sump so I would prefer one that hangs on the back. I am willing to negotiate however please leave your input thanks.

Coralife Super Skimmer is an excellent option. So is the Remora. I don't have any experience with the Remora but i've heard "MANY" good comments about it. IME, the Coralife skimmer is great and cheap.

the Coralife skimmer is great and cheap

I love this skimmer....a great price...easy setup....a pump is already included and you can use it for in-sump or HOB. I use one for my 46 gl bowfront and would not have it any other way....SeaClone is alright but you will continue to run into those problems. HTH

I never had any problems with my seaclone, I had the big one, but I got a turbofloater on ebay and the seaclone is now gathering dust in the closet. My seaclone worked fine on my 55 and 75, but I ditched it when I upgraded to 100 gallon. I think it was rated for 100 gallons or more even, but I don't trust those ratings much.

I have heard good things about remora and bak-pak skimers for smaller tanks, but I like my turbofloater needle wheel skimmer. That thing cranks out tons of dry foam, but it is kinda tricky to set up.

Whatever you do, don't buy a skilter or a visi-jet. I have owned both and if you thought a sea-clone clogged up, you have not seen anything until you have owned a visi-jet. Skilters are just wisper hang on filters with noisy, crappy 6" tiny skimmers built in to them, and they suck.

Berlin II (triple stage) has not let me down, is easy to clean, can be in sump or on a shelf (pump isn't attached to it). Rather large to hang on back, but could be done.

Stay away from pro clear aquatics skimmers.. they are a one piece unit that is a real pita to clean.

Thank you for all the adivce, I think I am going to go w/ the Remora. Which is better however for a 65g tank the Makijet 1200 or the Mag3 do you think the Makijet 1200 will be enough or should I go w/ the Mag3?

EEL, I was begining to think I was the only excalibur user in America. Good to hear.

I have a 55 with the Remorah pro w/mag 5. outstanding production. just have to keep the cup clean for optimum production.

Remora is a good choice, Deltec is a good choice (however $200 of the $500 price is going for the brand name)
Coralife super skimmer is also a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom