new qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barracuda

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to know how to set up a qt, should it have substrate? should it have live rock? should it have shrimp or crabs? I want to keep it running permanately, thanks. I'm new to the hobby.

no it shouldn't have liverock or any inverts of any kind if you plan to use the tank to treat with copper based treatments which kills inverts. substrate is up to you i wouldn't easier to clean.

I would not use a substrate either. I use pieces of PVC pipe in mine to give the fish a place to hide/feel secure. I do not leave mine running when not being used as a QT though. Hope this helps

qt

Thanks guys, but I'm wondering how you can put a fish in a qt when the tank is not cycled? that's why I wanted to leave the qt running all the time!

One last question, for now, I am starting a new tank, should I put the new fish into the new tank after it has cycled or should I put them into a qt? right now I have nothing but sand and live rock in the tank..except for 2 shrimp to get the cycle going. thanks to all for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Always place the new fish in the QT. Even though the main tank is still fallow, you do not want to possibley introduce a pathogen or parasite that would extend the normal QT time from 3-4 weeks to 6-8 weeks. Not to mention having to catch the fish and re-acclimate causing further stress.

Cheers
Steve

thanks Steve. That brings me to another question. I would like to have a mandarin dragon in the future, how would you go about keeping it alive in a bare qt? I heard that they are fussy eaters, that they only feed on copepods, which i thought only came from live rock? so many questions, but I like to be informed b4 I get into something.

That's a really difficult one. They are still capable of carrying and infesting the display tank with parasites although they do have a rather noxious slime coat.

Best recommendation is reading up on raising decapsulated live brine. They are quite nutritious and should offer something the dragonet will eat without hesitation.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom