Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If they are hard and attached, then they are most likely spionid worms, which are harmless. If it is detritus, just siphon out what you can (through the pump chambers) when you do water changes.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice FINatic

gottcha! the white stuff appears to be salt/sand rather than worms. looks like detrius but what would i have in my tank that would produce that much? i shined a flashlight with both white and red lights and saw no movement, but it is floating a little in both the pump compartments. very, very tiny particles. before i leave town, we will vacuum again.
last night, after lights out, when i was looking over the tank, i noticed brown areas on the sand. unlike diatoms, which i'm used to, this is hairy. so far it's only in the back two corners, so i rearranged my powerhead that direction. this morning, it's worse. snails, crabs and shrimp walk across it, but don't help get rid of it. the hairs are between an 1/8 of an inch to more than an inch tall. i admit that at this point, i haven't checked for phosphates, but ammonia, nitrite are 0, nitrates are less than 10.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like (Hate to say it) brown hair algae, good news is your tank is acting like most new setups Just hang in there it will settle down in time

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, that's what I thought it was. So just let it alone and it will go away itself like diatoms? I was planning on Friday to do a water change and get the detritus out of the pump area at the same time. I don't want my husband going thru anything interesting, if you know what I mean, while I'm gone. Tonight he sprayed a disinfectant on the counter right next to the filter media I was changing the filter with. He got a lecture and the filter media went in the trash. I feel like I'm leaving my newborn baby with a sitter for the first time.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
I feel like I'm leaving my newborn baby with a sitter for the first time.
My wife says i worry about my tank way too much says it's supposed to lower your blood pressure

Try to remove as much of the hair as you can as it will fuel the next outbreak when it dies off. Nature loves it's cycles

Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Will do so. I've been picking it up with my fingers and removing it, but it's beyond that now. Your wife is right. Pets are supposed to lower your blood pressure, but whoever said that never had a reef tank.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
Pets are supposed to lower your blood pressure, but whoever said that never had a reef tank.
lol that would make a great Sig.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey! that's a good idea.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Leaving in the morning. Trained husband on how to care for new reef tank, two cichlids tanks, and two tropicals. He's pretty responsible, but of course, I will call every night to go over the instructions again, if he doesn't hang up on me. I am still having trouble with the brown hair algae. Where I pointed my power head, it has disipated greatly, but I can't get the power head placed in the two back corners, due to the wavemaker's pump outlets and I can't get them to point down. Will do a filter change and substrate scraping in the morning before I leave and hope for the best!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

He just might have a green or is it a wet thumb.

fingers crossed.

Tags
jbj, nano, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com