New reef JBJ CF nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm guessing cyano most likely cause by over feeding you can remove it buy vacuuming it up with water changes it will take some time, or you can use chemi-clean As to posting pics sorry i'm lucky to get my com to boot lol

Here's a site with pics it will help you to id the algae Nuisance Algae ID Guide

Thanks for the nuisance algae website. It helped. The pictures aren't that good, but you surely can see red where white should be. The green algae, with a spot or two of red on the glass, did not come off easily when I rubbed at it with a paper towel. I will take a MagFloat to it tomorrow.:banghead:

Cyano cut back on amount of food/feedings. it's part of the curve just vacuum it out with your PWC's

thanks, Grizz. i assumed that's what it was but wasn't sure how to get rid of it. another question which may sound dumb, but when you vacuum sand, doesn't the sand vacuum right into the bucket and you lose sand? what would happen if i just stirred the sand? that wouldn't get rid of it, would it? i just would like to find the two snails that burrowed into the sand when i brought them home. want to make sure they're still alive. i had another question but my daughter called and disrupted by thinking, which isn't hard.

oh yeah, Grizz. i remember now. i can't be overfeeding the tank. i only feed two peppermint shrimp 6 mini pellets every night. so, what could have caused this, natural?

Yes it's natural but it;s caused buy an excess of nutrients snails dyeing and decaying will add to the problem IMO your feeding way to much I have 7 fish,12 hermits and countless snails and i dont feed that much. My rule for feeding is there stomach is only the size of there eye
Try 2 pellets every day Use a turkey baster to suck up the cyano don't stir your sand as it will make things far worse. Use a red lens on a flashlight 2-3 hrs after lights out you should see those snails out then.

Ok. I've got to find a red lensed flashlight. I had one at one time for astronomy, but we can't figure what we did with it. Does the Lfs carry them? I really didn't realize that I was over feeding those two shrimp, but I will adjust immediately and suck that stuff up with my turkey Baster (fish only) tomorrow. I'm just too tired tonight. And I noticed that my water is cloudy and isn't improving. Any ideas on that? I still can't get that skimmer to skim. There are lots of fine bubbles in the tube, but nothing in the cup. Is this normal? I feel like I'm never going to quit asking questions. Oh, and my first hitchhiker...a bristle worm. Don't know how long he is but he's pink and skinny and went from one hole in the rock to another.

I got a piece of red cello from the craft store. Cloudy water could be a bacti bloom it will clear in time. Is the skimmer new? some times they can take 3-4 weeks to break in.
Bristle worms will multiply like mad it there's a lot of left over food, good part of your CUC. Over feeding is easy to do my fish have my wife trained it's like she cant go by without stopping to give them 'just a little bit' lol
Questions are no problem it's why we're here :dance:

Yeah, apparently it is easy to over feed, as I've been doing it. The skimmer is new, out of the box a week ago. No instructions, so we're winging it. Not worried about the bristle worm yet. Saw it again, or a different one just a few minutes ago.

JBJ 28 gallon nano skimmer. So there's nothing I can do with the cloudy water. Ok. Now, clarify something for me. One guy said vacuum it out and another said use a turkey Baster. I'm confused. There's nothing on the Internet that says what to do with it. Fortunately, it's not spreading except climbing the glass about a half inch.

If you vacuum it will remove a lot of sand with it. I used a turkey baster to remove it from my sand it didnt remove as much sand For the cloudy water carbon will help you can run it in a HOB with some filter floss it will polish your water

Wow! I just reread what I wrote and even I didn't understand it, but you picked up on the fact that I was talking about the cyano. I went ahead and did what you said, but the stuff was so thick, it plugged up my Baster. My husband is an Engineer and told me to sweep it up with a fork. When I did, it just peeled back. I was actually able to pick some of it up with my fingers. I also found one of my snails, alive and well. The problem, as always, is that the tank is full of blowing sand. It is slowly clearing but I can see enough to tell that everything is coated white again. I moved the power head halfway down the glass to blow off some of the sand from the rocks. It's on night lights now so I can't see much now. And I have adjusted the timer to 8 hours of light. And not only do I not have a spare HOB, but there's no way to mount one with the sump on the back and a hinged complete hood. I do have carbon in the trickle filter. If it's not clear by morning, I will add a carbon pad. Also, the skimmer acted like it was going to produce earlier, but so far, no go.

Try aiming the power head at the surface it should help with sand storm. Good idea using a fork i forget cyano tends to act like a film

well at least my husband is good for something : )
now i only have to wait for the sandstorm to settle. i still can't see the back of the tank. i was hoping it would be clear this morning because my 9 year old granddaughter is coming over and she is SO into this. in a way, i'm doing it for her. she can sit down and read a book on oceanography and has already correctly decided the additional corals, CUC and fish we will get. she has not seen the tank yet.
so, to keep cyano away, just keep the power head moving so that there is always flow on those hard to get to spots.
now, i have a rock that has nice green pretty algae on it. there is a place the size of a dime where the green is 1/2 inch long, wavy and fuzzy. any problem here?

Sounds like hair algae CUC will eat it, im guessing that there still a lot of nutrients in your water, it will come down with your PWC's yes cyano likes low flow areas. once you get some fish in there the sand will settle as you'll get a bacti film that will help to lock the sand in place.
PS dont pick on hubby you may need him to tote water :lol:

I won't pick on him. He's pretty cool. Says he won't do anything with the tank, that it's my hobby, but he was the one with the fork.
Went to the Lfs today, but came home empty. I took pics with my iPad and they said the sand was blowing too much to add fish or corals, so I'll go back next week. Disappointed, but you can't rush this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom