Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia
After the cycle completes, do you add fishes or corals next? Everyone I talk to says only to get softies. Can anyone recommend some colorful, easy care ones that I should be able to find here. My desires for fish are captive clownfish, captive bangaii (probably spelled wrong) cardinal and a royal gramma. One of each. What do you think?
That is a good stock list, as for easy care corals.
Mushrooms are awesome I love them , zoa's are real nice and easy to care for. Those were my starter corals .
Green star polyps are nice as well but grow fast

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good. Those are the ones I had in mind as well. Would a torch coral "upset the AppleCart"?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went to our largest reef store today with a water sample and he says my tank is cycled. He has some very nice, porous live rock, so I picked up 2.6 lbs of it and resculpted my tank, giving it many more overhangs, nooks and crannies, and a huge cave where the peppermint shrimp stay when th lights are on. I also brought home a small piece of green star polyp, a very small multi-colored zooanthid, a gorgeous orangey red mushroom and three red banded trochus snails. The owner of the store told me to call him if anything happened. I almost called him when the superglue for underwater stuff stuck me to the green star polyp. I finally got it loose, then glued two fingers together. I'm so coordinated. Used nail polish remover (some old stuff with acetone in it) and I am free of the glue.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pics or it didnt happen Sounds like you found a keeper (LFS)

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I hope so, it sure is a long way away, but I felt so comfortable there. I will try to post pics this weekend. Lights are out on the tank tonight.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia
Thanks. I hope so, it sure is a long way away, but I felt so comfortable there. I will try to post pics this weekend. Lights are out on the tank tonight.
I drive about 1 hour for a fish store with a good selection and prices , the one in town do not get a lot of corals and not a large selection of fish for the cost ... So the extra in gas is not to bad.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, it's a long way, and my old Lfs has corals and sw fish, nothing is captive bred. This new place is 50% captive bred and they do their own fragging. It's a big, well lit, comfortable place. I will be doing most of my business there.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need help again. White sand is turning red. There is almost no white showing. Very little red on rocks and very, very little on glass. Green algae on glass. Also, i bought two snails the Lfs said were olive pit, but the pictures I looked up make them look more like cowries. Since I put them in 12 days ago and they buried themselves in the sand, I haven't seen them. I was going to put on some gloves and stir the sand around to see if I can find them, but with all the sand turning red, I don't know if that would be a good idea. Anyone?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it red or red-ish brown? Red it could be Cyano, brown it may be Diatoms which are common in a new set up Pic will help us

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok Grizz. My husband did the pics for me before, so I'm struggling to figure out how to do this now. I'm using an iPad, took the pics with it and am now trying to move them to the thread. By the way, it's really red. Ok, I give up. Any idea how to transport pics from an iPad to the thread on the iPad?

Tags
jbj, nano, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com