New reef JBJ CF nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about the return nozzle ? Filling up that quickly maybe the return value is a lil " low " and you need a higher return rate
Second pic is at a high return flow rate after about 3-4 days I MIGHT have to clean it hair cause it is icky
Third is a low return rate after about 15 sec it will over load the jar and spill .....
I hope this helps :-/ your skimmer will be your best friend !

Attachments

• image-1972447218.jpg
    image-1972447218.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-599836800.jpg
    image-599836800.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3253165944.jpg
    image-3253165944.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 88
There is no return valve on the stock JBJ skimmer unfortunately. It is a traditional air stone driven skimmer, the only pump is an adjustable air pump.

I have this skimmer on my cube, just turn the air pump all the way down so that there is minimal air in the skimmer. Then turn the air pressure up incrementally over the next day or so to get the desired skimmate you want. This skimmer isn't really going to pull (chunks) out of the water, but it will do an ok job. I shoot for a wet skimmate which is medium brown (amber) in color. Your cup will get full every 1-3 days doing it this way.

Ok, Qube. You are correct, there is no return valve. My husband spent the last two hours doing just what you're suggesting. He also hooked airline hose to the drain on the bottom of the cup and is draining into a gallon jug so we can let it go all night. At this point it is still plain, green water, but I feel we have all made progress with this situation. I was just short of going to the Lfs and buying another skimmer, but I really wanted one that would fit in the sump and not HOB. We have the lights on momentarily to check everything out. The water isn't as green as it was, or maybe I'm dreaming, but I will go lights out tonight or in the morning. Thanks again.

Went lights out at 9:00 last night. Skimmer quit skimming during the night, so we checked the pressure button on the pump to make sure it had not vibrated down and that the skimmer was where it should be in the sump. Everything looks fine but it's not producing anything today. Will just watch it.

AquaTricia said:
Went lights out at 9:00 last night. Skimmer quit skimming during the night, so we checked the pressure button on the pump to make sure it had not vibrated down and that the skimmer was where it should be in the sump. Everything looks fine but it's not producing anything today. Will just watch it.

Put a valve coming off the pump to control waterflow

danbstrong said:
Put a valve coming off the pump to control waterflow

Also i run warm ro water thru airline once in awhile to get out any clogs

thanks for posting. we readjusted the skimmer and again, it's really working well. i'm not talented enough to do any plumbing work but i think what you're saying is a button to increase and decrease pressure that it already has and i will take your advise and run the warm water thru the tubing. thanks a lot for posting.

The three days have passed that I had a cover on the tank and lights out to stop the green water. Right now I have the regular living room lights on and the moonlights on the tank to get my critters used to light again. At this point, it looks great! Of course, I haven't turned the compact florecents on yet, but I will in about an hour. I'm going to gently blow the detritus off the rocks, then vacuum the water and let the rest be picked up by the overflow and the protein skimmer, which now appears to be functioning adequately. I'll clean or replace the filter media and replace the saltwater I vacuumed out with clean saltwater. After tests for salinity, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates, I will turn off the fluorescents and put on the moonlights, and I plan to cover the tank again until morning. (my husband gets up at 4:00 am, so I'm talking my morning, not his.) Does this all sound good for now?

thank you. thanks to guys like you, us newbies are able to get the info needed, but don't worry, i'm sure i will be back during the next question on the tank.:thanks:

thank you. thanks to guys like you, us newbies are able to get the info needed, but don't worry, i'm sure i will be back during the next question on the tank.:thanks:

We were all noob's once, It wont be long before you'll be answering people's questions

that's a nice idea, but it still feels like i'll never know enough to help others. i'll keep studying, reading and asking until i have the prettiest, safest 28 gallon nano reef in the area. i really do thank you all for your help.:fish2:

just an update. since green water was gone for 2 days, i did a water change, added ChemiPure Elite, and removed the stock sponge. also added a sheet of fiber to the next compartment in the trickle filter. my husband says the tank looks "milky", so I'm trying to clear it up and lots of people on these forums, you know, the experts, have suggested all this.
i took my 7 year old granddaughter to the "big" fish store yesterday and got two juvenile, captive bred percula clowns, 2 ricordea floridas and one very large frag off a beautiful mushroom of some sort. i will definately look this one up to get a correct name. i also bough a fair sized torch coral and it is wonderful swinging in the current. will be looking for more of this type when i go again. everything looked wonderful this morning.:dance:

AquaTricia said:
just an update. since green water was gone for 2 days, i did a water change, added ChemiPure Elite, and removed the stock sponge. also added a sheet of fiber to the next compartment in the trickle filter. my husband says the tank looks "milky", so I'm trying to clear it up and lots of people on these forums, you know, the experts, have suggested all this.
i took my 7 year old granddaughter to the "big" fish store yesterday and got two juvenile, captive bred percula clowns, 2 ricordea floridas and one very large frag off a beautiful mushroom of some sort. i will definately look this one up to get a correct name. i also bough a fair sized torch coral and it is wonderful swinging in the current. will be looking for more of this type when i go again. everything looked wonderful this morning.:dance:

Grats on the new purchase , usually when people make nice purchase on these forums we usually get a pic to go along * nudge * but been following this for a while now an happy to hear everything is coming along smoothly

Ok, I got it, I got it. Pics will be forthcoming. The tank is still a little milky looking, so I did my research and found sand and salt particulates in the sump. Heavily! Took everything out of the sump and 10 gallons of water later, my husband and I flushed it all up and suctioned it out. At least that is why (i hope) I had milky water. By morning, I hope it to be better looking and I'm going to the " little" fish store to get some more saltwater, and maybe, just maybe another couple of corals and a Banggai Cardinalfish. This store tends to be expensive for stock items, and all livestock is brought in From wherever, which is why I usually don't mind the long trek to the "big" fish store. Medical reasons mean I have to have a ride to the doctor in the morning and I will have to rely on someone to take me to the lfs. Keep you posted and pics tomorrow night, if my husband doesn't shoot me. He's the photographer.

Pics are a great way to get him involved. And you know what they say a pic is worth a thousand words

Pics have been delayed as i got sick and he didn't know what i really wanted. water is still "milky" and he feels that there is more garbage under the sump. he wants to bring a water hose from outside and flush this section and then suction it all out. haven't lost any livestock, so i'm at least pleased with that. my ricordea have doubled in size and i later picked up with a Kenya Tree coral. it is beautiful. i will now wait a couple of weeks or more before purchasing anything new, as next Saturday, i will be leaving town for a week and will probably be exhausted when i return. i have to teach my husband how to run the tank as well as 4 freshwater tanks.
tomorrow, i will tell him what i want in pics for you guys, so i should have them for you by evening. thanks for the patience.

Back
Top Bottom