Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, apparently it is easy to over feed, as I've been doing it. The skimmer is new, out of the box a week ago. No instructions, so we're winging it. Not worried about the bristle worm yet. Saw it again, or a different one just a few minutes ago.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good thing is overfeeding is an easy fix. What kind of skimmer?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

JBJ 28 gallon nano skimmer. So there's nothing I can do with the cloudy water. Ok. Now, clarify something for me. One guy said vacuum it out and another said use a turkey Baster. I'm confused. There's nothing on the Internet that says what to do with it. Fortunately, it's not spreading except climbing the glass about a half inch.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you vacuum it will remove a lot of sand with it. I used a turkey baster to remove it from my sand it didnt remove as much sand For the cloudy water carbon will help you can run it in a HOB with some filter floss it will polish your water

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow! I just reread what I wrote and even I didn't understand it, but you picked up on the fact that I was talking about the cyano. I went ahead and did what you said, but the stuff was so thick, it plugged up my Baster. My husband is an Engineer and told me to sweep it up with a fork. When I did, it just peeled back. I was actually able to pick some of it up with my fingers. I also found one of my snails, alive and well. The problem, as always, is that the tank is full of blowing sand. It is slowly clearing but I can see enough to tell that everything is coated white again. I moved the power head halfway down the glass to blow off some of the sand from the rocks. It's on night lights now so I can't see much now. And I have adjusted the timer to 8 hours of light. And not only do I not have a spare HOB, but there's no way to mount one with the sump on the back and a hinged complete hood. I do have carbon in the trickle filter. If it's not clear by morning, I will add a carbon pad. Also, the skimmer acted like it was going to produce earlier, but so far, no go.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try aiming the power head at the surface it should help with sand storm. Good idea using a fork i forget cyano tends to act like a film

Old 07-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well at least my husband is good for something : )
now i only have to wait for the sandstorm to settle. i still can't see the back of the tank. i was hoping it would be clear this morning because my 9 year old granddaughter is coming over and she is SO into this. in a way, i'm doing it for her. she can sit down and read a book on oceanography and has already correctly decided the additional corals, CUC and fish we will get. she has not seen the tank yet.
so, to keep cyano away, just keep the power head moving so that there is always flow on those hard to get to spots.
now, i have a rock that has nice green pretty algae on it. there is a place the size of a dime where the green is 1/2 inch long, wavy and fuzzy. any problem here?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like hair algae CUC will eat it, im guessing that there still a lot of nutrients in your water, it will come down with your PWC's yes cyano likes low flow areas. once you get some fish in there the sand will settle as you'll get a bacti film that will help to lock the sand in place.
PS dont pick on hubby you may need him to tote water

Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I won't pick on him. He's pretty cool. Says he won't do anything with the tank, that it's my hobby, but he was the one with the fork.
Went to the Lfs today, but came home empty. I took pics with my iPad and they said the sand was blowing too much to add fish or corals, so I'll go back next week. Disappointed, but you can't rush this hobby.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can always add some snails and hermits

Tags
jbj, nano, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com