Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I already have two sand sifters, three three banded trochus which I never see. I also have two peppermint shrimp. Could use more. Should have gotten them yesterday, but wasn't thinking. Don't like crabs.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trochus are good snails to have as they eat cyano algae and diatoms i'd have 6-8 in a tank that size. Looks like we just need to sit back and let the tank settle. What kind of fish/coral are you looking at?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All softies in corals. Already have reddish orange mushrooms, red and green zoanthid, and a green star polyp. All are vey small specimens, but they are doing well, I guess the green star is, can't see it. Fish will be a couple of clownfish, a Bangaai Cardinal, a royal gramma, and a purple fire fish. Does that sound ok to you?
Another new problem has reared it's ugly head; green water. Can't see a thing. I did a 30% water change. Tested ph, nitrites, and ammonia. Ph is about 8.1,nitrites and ammonia at 0. Didn't realize I don't have a saltwater nitrate test. One of my bulbs blew on one of my cichlids tanks, so I will go get a new one on the morning and a test for nitrates. It was looking better before lights out. Can't wait to see it in the morning. Should I do a change every day? Nothing in the skimmer. Cleaned the filter. Passed out in a chair.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a pretty bad algae bloom. You may have an issue because you may have to do a black out period. Water changes may not help. Because as you dilute with new water, the algae is quickly reproducing into the fresh water column. Have a picture of this green water?

Cardinal's really should be in groups of three or more. By not supplying this, you are taking away from its natural schooling tendencies. This has potential to prematurely stress and kill the fish. Yes it is possible, that doesn't make it ok.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using tap water? It could be loaded with phosphates, mine is, 1st time i tried it What a mess lol (didn't want to hook up RO/DI) Cardinal's need a school for sure, and imo are the most boring fish all they do is hang in the water

Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank you guys. i get mmy saltwater from the lfs, so i don't know anything about it. i will, however, find out today when i go over there. for top off, i use ro/di. yeah, i figured it was an algae bloom. nice, huh? well, it looks a little better today, even some of the green is gone. critters are doing ok. i don't have a way to get a pic. i'm a real dummy about computers and everytime my husband tells me he will teach me, he forgets (amazing, huh?)
i didn't know that info on cardinals. what i have read is that they do better on their own because they fight with each other. the tank is too small to add much of a school. what else would you suggest? i'm looking for very pretty and maybe a bit unusual.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Went to the Lfs. They use instant ocean salt in ro/di water. They tested my water and the results were ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5.0, and phosphates 0, which surprised me. Nitrates need to come Dow. Because of evidence os hair algae, they reccomended small hermit crabs. I didn't want crabs initially, but if I need them...
Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just a little notation: on an iPad, it changes spelling whenever it wants, so some words don't make any sence. Sorry you have to translate. I usually spell correctly.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crabs can be a good cleanup crew. Green emeralds eat hairline. But water quality is key.

Cardinals don't fight with cardinals. FYI.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not uncommon to test for 0 phosphates because there locked up in the algae Have you looked at the halloween hermit kinda cool just be sure to add some extra shells or they'll kill the snails for there's
Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab

PS better to make your own salt water as the LFS RO/DI unit may need it's filters changed

Tags
jbj, nano, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com