New reef JBJ CF nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about a royal gamma. I have one and the color is Awsome as well they are some well behaved little fish. Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• image-1166701389.jpg
    image-1166701389.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 78
yeah, the Royal is on my short list. last time i was at my favorite lfs they only had one. either they are very popular, or he just doesn't get any in. i am assuming they are not tank bred. i prefer them and will gladly pay more. the only other one i am considering (besides my blenny) is a long finned fairy wrasse and i've never even seen one, so if they have one, i may not like it.:fish2::fish1:

And I'm currently baby sitting, so I will have to wait to watch the video until I have an hour, uninterrupted. Looking forward to it. I have a book written by him.

How bout a rainford's goby I absolutely love mine and is a decent sand sifter for his size

Hey, he's cute.b thanks for the pics. Do gobies burrow under rocks as I have heard? I'm concerned only because I'm not entirely sure of the stability of my rock. I have a Mexican Turbo and he has not dislodged anything, but he's on top and a goby will be on the bottom. What's the chance that one little, bitty goby can cause more than 20 lbs of rock to topple?

A tiny pistol shrimp could collapse a 100lbs of rock if not setup right. My rainford's goby does not burrow though just grazes all day and night.

All right. I'll look at him, too. But you've scare me on that toppling rock. I tried using Aquastik to bind them together, but the stuff just didn't work. So they are all piled together in a lovely stack that now I know could kill my fish and corals. A little late now to worry about it.

Since you posted on my build, I decided to check out your's.....:brows:

I took a few minutes and read through everything, and all I can say is WOW.... you guys have gone through (and learned) a lot in very short order.

One thing I do have to add is seriously watch how many fish you add. I know it's kinda hard, but with a nano you really need to decide.... is it a reef tank, or is it a fish tank?? If you're wanting reef, the more fish bioload you have in there, the more battles you are going to continue to fight.
I think I would stick with what you have right now until your system completely balances out and then look at how much load you're producing.....

thanks for posting. i was wondering if you read my book/post. it did turn out kinda long, but that was just the short story with all that has happened, as you now have seen. the tank has been stable since i came back from my trip this past Saturday. my husband took good care of it, but he didn't know how to test the water. so i did and everything was perfect. nitrates were .10, but that's no big deal. i did a 30% water change and it's great. looks beautiful and everybody happy. i checked the calendar and the tank's been up 8 weeks and cycled 6 weeks. i did decide not to go to the lfs this week. i will watch the tank until next week and we'll see how it goes. the max fish bioload will be 4-5, of course not at one time. i've had the two clowns for about three weeks. no spikes in ammonia or nitrites. i keep this little puppy clean, at least as far as i can. the skimmer is picking up a half gallon a week in dark green water and leaves the funnel on the cup green and slimy. don't know where it's getting all that from. thanks for reading my thread, as i did yours and i wish you, your tank, and your little clown all the best. i see he's doing a little better. i think, in my professional opinion:whistle: that you can had a couple more fish in a couple of months once everything settles down. the corals don't figure into the bioload, just fish and CUC. IMO, you just added your Nemo a little too early and you really don't know what condition he was in when you got him. do you know how old he is? mine are juvys, so they're not putting out a lot of waste so, except during very early cycling, i have had no ammonia. well, take care, and if you need me to bounce something off of, just let me know. :fish2:

Yep... you took the time to post, I read it.

We head out of town Wednesday through Saturday and have a friend house-sitting to take care of all the animals. Luckily she's familiar with salt/reef aquariums, but I'm still nervous as heck. I'll probably be calling her every day.....
Good to hear that nothing happened... I'm just hoping to have the same luck.

Don't know if you read what I've posted recently, but I do believe this clown is going to wind up being my only fish.... He's aggressive as all get-out. According to the guy I got him from, he's about 4 years old, and he was extremely territorial in his old tank, but it just happened that all his other fish were bigger than him, so it didn't bother them. If I were to put another small fish in there with him, I have a feeling it would become a very expensive meal for the shrimp....

Like I said in you're other thread, he needs a sumo wrestler. Just give him time to settle. Maybe you'll get lucky with him and he will like the coziness of the new tank. And I wish you luck with your trip, too. My husband did all right with no reef experience. In early September, we have to go out of town for a wedding and will leave my daughter in charge. Her experience is standing in front of the tank and saying "oh, how cute the little fish are" and "ooooooo, I hate those spidery things, you call them hermits?". I may come back to no spidery things.

I really messed up tonight, and I am so upset. I cleaned the tank, filter, skimmer, and was looking over everything, when I decided that my candy cane, sitting in the substrate, was not doing anything but looking pretty. I decided to move it to a rock shelf. As I was positioning it, and concentrating on what I was doing, the whole rock tipped over, knocking the candy cane upside down in the sand, one of my ricordeas went flying and a zoanthid took a quick sand dip before I caught the rock. When I aquacultured this tank, I tried to use Aquastik to cement the rocks together, but for some reason, it didn't work. Well, I pulled it back out and used half a stick under that rock. Then I used more to attach the candy cane to the crevice. The ricordea was so "squishy" that I am afraid I really damaged it while putting it up on another rock ledge. Moonlights are on now and it is not glowing like it usually does and I had to apply some pressure to the candy cane to get it set in the Aquastik. I think the zoa might be ok. It didn't hit the sand hard. My beautiful tank looks awful now with white Aquastik all over the left side, the ricordea isn't glowing and, on top of everything else, my torch, which has split from one to three heads, got knocked over by something, all the heads have closed and are not opening. I didn't glue it back down, but I did remove the old glue, because I am going to the big lfs tomorrow, so I thought I'd just glue it back to the rubble when I glued down the new coral. It's propped up and very slimy on the stalk. I'm still going to the lfs, when I will tell them all this and get advise. I will take pictures with my iPad and show them the disaster. I will probably go ahead and get my little fish, but it is unlikely I will come home with corals. I am sooooo bummed.

AquaTricia said:
I really messed up tonight, and I am so upset. I cleaned the tank, filter, skimmer, and was looking over everything, when I decided that my candy cane, sitting in the substrate, was not doing anything but looking pretty. I decided to move it to a rock shelf. As I was positioning it, and concentrating on what I was doing, the whole rock tipped over, knocking the candy cane upside down in the sand, one of my ricordeas went flying and a zoanthid took a quick sand dip before I caught the rock. When I aquacultured this tank, I tried to use Aquastik to cement the rocks together, but for some reason, it didn't work. Well, I pulled it back out and used half a stick under that rock. Then I used more to attach the candy cane to the crevice. The ricordea was so "squishy" that I am afraid I really damaged it while putting it up on another rock ledge. Moonlights are on now and it is not glowing like it usually does and I had to apply some pressure to the candy cane to get it set in the Aquastik. I think the zoa might be ok. It didn't hit the sand hard. My beautiful tank looks awful now with white Aquastik all over the left side, the ricordea isn't glowing and, on top of everything else, my torch, which has split from one to three heads, got knocked over by something, all the heads have closed and are not opening. I didn't glue it back down, but I did remove the old glue, because I am going to the big lfs tomorrow, so I thought I'd just glue it back to the rubble when I glued down the new coral. It's propped up and very slimy on the stalk. I'm still going to the lfs, when I will tell them all this and get advise. I will take pictures with my iPad and show them the disaster. I will probably go ahead and get my little fish, but it is unlikely I will come home with corals. I am sooooo bummed.

Ive done this coral are pretty hardy and more than likely will recover i use superglue gel to attach coral just dry the base of coral off apply glue wait 20 seconds and push glue onto rock where you want the glue will cure under water

Dont beat yourself up we've all done it at one time And like Dan said coral are tough you should see what a storm does to a reef. :hide: The slime is a stress coat it helps the coral shed sand and other debris

thank you, Danbstrong and Grizz. i thought i was the only one that had ever messed up like that. and i do usually glue them but the Aquastik was already where i was holding up the rock, so i just continued using it. the tank lights come on at 10am and by 11 i should know if everything is generally all right. i want to GENTLY move the excess Aquastik and see if i actually need to glue down the ricordea or if just sitting on a ledge will make it happy. i know i need to get a fragging kit now. the way the lfs fragged it, it has a very long pointed base, which was why the whole thing happened; i couldn't get the thing to hold in the crevice. now it sticks out two inches. will it grow to the rock like that or should i take a chance :eek: and pull it out and put it back on the sand? it wasn't doing anything there. had it about a month. did i jump the gun? and regarding fragging kits, are they all the same? anyway, thanks. i'm still pretty bummed but i feel better knowing the corals aren't as delicate as i thought they were. maybe i won't have a major coral die-off.:(

AquaTricia said:
when i was talking about the way the lfs fragged it, i was talking about the candy cane. need to read over what i write before i send it.:banghead:

Superglue gel or epoxy both work and both cure underwater

Everything turned out all right. Turning the rock that tipped upside down worked. The zoos came back perfectly and I glued the ricordea to the other end. Since then, it appears it's going to split. I moved the torch to the back using Danbstrong's advice. Went to the lfs later, turned out this week, and showed them the pics. They said it's ok and the bottom of that rock will get coralline on it within a couple of weeks. I bought three corals, a Japanese blu snowflake, very small piece, blooming baby blue at one end and light blue at the other. A double ricordea in blue/purple color, and a clove polyp, both placed in the back. All I want now is a bright blue rhodactis (probably spelled wrong) and I will be done with corals.
I went over there to get a bi-color Blenny, but they didn't have any and a quick phone call to the other two lfs indicated they had none either. I wound up with a neon blue goby, who basically stays on the wall in the back. Took a couple of days to find him to show him to my husband. I also got a pajama cardinal, and I called all three lfs on that, too, and they all said he could be by himself in such a small tank. I have checked all parameters since I got all of them, and everything shows perfect. I change my water, about 15% every Monday, so he said I needed no additives such as calcium, etc, although I did get some vitamins and I bought a frozen tube of Cyclop-eeze that you just swish around in the tank for a minute or two, then seal it up in a freezer bag. I got frozen Mysis as well. I realize that I did things differently than the excellent help on this forum and can only hope my decisions, and the lfs's advise is correct.
I do have some questions, though, and if anybody is still speaking to me, I need some answers. First off, the ricordea came on rubble and out the side is an ivory shoot of a fuzzy thing. I know a picture is the best bet for iD, but do you think it's the dreaded Aptasia. It actually looks like a 1/4 inch corn broom.
The rock that tipped is about 10 inches long. At one end, the Zoa is wrapped around the end and is slightly bigger than a silver dollar. At the other end is the orange ricordea. I think I know the answer to this (and will comply) but should I add something in between that grows slowly or leave it as it is. I know ricordea grows slowly, which is why I'm asking.
I have a hermit crab that is fairly big (it has changed shells twice) and he has decided he likes my snowflakes. I am afraid he will do damage. Suggestions?
The lfs said my candy cane is something he called a lobed something, I can't remember. There are three polyps on a hard, flat, pointed stem, I assume. The three heads are approximately round, pink with green stripes, and a pink center. Now, I don't even know how to care for them. I know, a pic would help, but I have to wait for the hubby. Oh yeah, each has it's own wall. Any ideas? The tank is really coming together after a shaky start and the blue mushrooms for the front, bottom of the tank will add the pop.
Also, forgot this one, how often do I feed everybody. At the present, I'm feeding frozen once a day in the morning and flakes at night for the juvenile fish. Every couple of days, I put a couple of shrimp pellets for the two peppermint shrimp and the olive snails. Does this sound excessive. The books I've read says it's not enough.
Ok, I think that's all. Can you guys help me, please?

Wow what a post :whistle: 1st the ric's like a low flow and the Zoo's like a med to moderate you may want to break that rock in half as the zoas will choke off the rick.
The snowflake grows fast as much as an inch in 2 weeks (lose the hermit) Keep on eye on the hitchhiker it could be aptasia easy enough to kill

And watch those impulse buys :facepalm: the'll get you every time lol Watch the olive snails there preds and will eat other snails. Feeding to me it sounds like a lot But as long as your water is good (no algae or phos) i wouldnt worry

PS i dont remember if i gave you this site https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Ok, I know, I know, I talk too much. Always have too much to say.
Gotcha on the Zoa and the ricordea. Can you frag a Zoa?
Fortunately, the frag of snowflake is just a sliver and I put it in the back on it's very own rock, so I'm ok there.
You got me on the impulse buys. I also got a fair sized frag of clove polyps. Had to move them three times. They are beautiful, but I just can't get satisfied with where to put them. I finally chose left hand, back corner.
No, I didn't get the website. Will look at it when I'm through here.
A big question. How do I lose the hermit. I admit I can't stand him, it looks like a spider-yuck! I have another one but he is smaller, has never changed shells, and knows his place, but I'd love to get rid of the big one. And the lfs that I got him from won't take him back, even for free because he changed shells. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom