Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about the return nozzle ? Filling up that quickly maybe the return value is a lil " low " and you need a higher return rate
Second pic is at a high return flow rate after about 3-4 days I MIGHT have to clean it hair cause it is icky
Third is a low return rate after about 15 sec it will over load the jar and spill .....
I hope this helps :-/ your skimmer will be your best friend !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1972447218.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	107444   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-599836800.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	107445  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3253165944.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	107446  

Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is no return valve on the stock JBJ skimmer unfortunately. It is a traditional air stone driven skimmer, the only pump is an adjustable air pump.

I have this skimmer on my cube, just turn the air pump all the way down so that there is minimal air in the skimmer. Then turn the air pressure up incrementally over the next day or so to get the desired skimmate you want. This skimmer isn't really going to pull (chunks) out of the water, but it will do an ok job. I shoot for a wet skimmate which is medium brown (amber) in color. Your cup will get full every 1-3 days doing it this way.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, Qube. You are correct, there is no return valve. My husband spent the last two hours doing just what you're suggesting. He also hooked airline hose to the drain on the bottom of the cup and is draining into a gallon jug so we can let it go all night. At this point it is still plain, green water, but I feel we have all made progress with this situation. I was just short of going to the Lfs and buying another skimmer, but I really wanted one that would fit in the sump and not HOB. We have the lights on momentarily to check everything out. The water isn't as green as it was, or maybe I'm dreaming, but I will go lights out tonight or in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Went lights out at 9:00 last night. Skimmer quit skimming during the night, so we checked the pressure button on the pump to make sure it had not vibrated down and that the skimmer was where it should be in the sump. Everything looks fine but it's not producing anything today. Will just watch it.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia
Went lights out at 9:00 last night. Skimmer quit skimming during the night, so we checked the pressure button on the pump to make sure it had not vibrated down and that the skimmer was where it should be in the sump. Everything looks fine but it's not producing anything today. Will just watch it.
Put a valve coming off the pump to control waterflow
Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Put a valve coming off the pump to control waterflow
Also i run warm ro water thru airline once in awhile to get out any clogs
Old 07-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for posting. we readjusted the skimmer and again, it's really working well. i'm not talented enough to do any plumbing work but i think what you're saying is a button to increase and decrease pressure that it already has and i will take your advise and run the warm water thru the tubing. thanks a lot for posting.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The three days have passed that I had a cover on the tank and lights out to stop the green water. Right now I have the regular living room lights on and the moonlights on the tank to get my critters used to light again. At this point, it looks great! Of course, I haven't turned the compact florecents on yet, but I will in about an hour. I'm going to gently blow the detritus off the rocks, then vacuum the water and let the rest be picked up by the overflow and the protein skimmer, which now appears to be functioning adequately. I'll clean or replace the filter media and replace the saltwater I vacuumed out with clean saltwater. After tests for salinity, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates, I will turn off the fluorescents and put on the moonlights, and I plan to cover the tank again until morning. (my husband gets up at 4:00 am, so I'm talking my morning, not his.) Does this all sound good for now?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you have things under control

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank you. thanks to guys like you, us newbies are able to get the info needed, but don't worry, i'm sure i will be back during the next question on the tank.

Tags
jbj, nano, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com