Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainboy View Post

The previous owner had this tank setup for his turtle. He had it plumbed for that. Only 12 inches of water in it. I think most of the stuff is here to return it back to reef tank. Unfortunately it has that hole in it. I was thinking a small piece of plexiglass siliconed over the opening?
Just seen the other pictures.. Hit me up on private message.. I can't do it from my phone.. I'll send ya my number or send me yours I can text faster if you need more help

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a crude drawing but you'll get an idea of what I'm saying and if you have two overflows than you just double it and plumb them in together. Anti siphon valve would be extremely important in case of power outage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3410763904.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	150028  

Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey
Does your out flow from pump run up thru the over flow if so you could use that hole as an additional out flow by putting a tee in and plumbing it in with a bulkhead fitting
That could make back siphon issues. I know their are ways around that but beginners can get over their heads pretty fast. Sealing it up or putting a bulkhead and a plug are the safest options. Doing that, then plumbing the tank as it was designed to be, is the way to go.

Having said that, this setup is a pretty sweet find. There are lots of things a tank this nice could be used for. If it's going to be saltwater then getting a good book is the best first step you can take. There are a lot of tank, filtration and pluming parts that are explained, with photos, in any decent aquarium guide. We'll still answer questions and problem solve right here. The thing is, saltwater is expensive. The cost of a book or two is cheaper than just about anything else.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

another inside view of tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130205_152723.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	150031  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would use some aquarium silicone and a piece of plastic. Easy fix.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I would use some aquarium silicone and a piece of plastic. Easy fix.
There are two layers of plastic with a air space in between. The hole was cut through both layers of plastic. Suppose each hole needs sealed up individually or don't worry about that?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
It's a crude drawing but you'll get an idea of what I'm saying and if you have two overflows than you just double it and plumb them in together. Anti siphon valve would be extremely important in case of power outage
Thanks, that gives me a general idea. Although I have two overflows with a external pump. As you can probably tell, this is my first big marine tank and I have no experience. The plumbing will need to be all rearranged and i'm not sure the correct procedure.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seal up both. Looks like you have the return lines. Seal them up and you will be all set!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
Seal up both. Looks like you have the return lines. Seal them up and you will be all set!
Sent you a pm...
Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post

That could make back siphon issues. I know their are ways around that but beginners can get over their heads pretty fast. Sealing it up or putting a bulkhead and a plug are the safest options. Doing that, then plumbing the tank as it was designed to be, is the way to go.

Having said that, this setup is a pretty sweet find. There are lots of things a tank this nice could be used for. If it's going to be saltwater then getting a good book is the best first step you can take. There are a lot of tank, filtration and pluming parts that are explained, with photos, in any decent aquarium guide. We'll still answer questions and problem solve right here. The thing is, saltwater is expensive. The cost of a book or two is cheaper than just about anything else.
I agree that anyone in this hobby could get I over their head very quickly, but back siphoning is solved by anti siphon valve and the height of the over flow tube. Which ever way you go with it there could be issues if the plug and silicone leaked over time the tank could drain into the sump. And to the added benefit you would have water flow coming in high and low in tank

Tags
flow, hole, new reef tank, overflow, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com