New Refugium, Help with setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Calerpa can be used. I`ve been using it for ten years npw. Lighting must be on 24/7 and needs to be regularly pruned. I feed a ball of it to my tangs every week. I use grape calerpa. If you follow those guidelines you will be OK.

I am having difficulty understanding the concept of the refugium. I have mud, rubble rock and a handful of caulerpa in mine. Water is being fed into the refugium via a tee off of the return pump piping with a ball valve to control the flow. Do I just allow the refugium to fill up with water, flow over the divider into the return pump area and then it goes into main tank that way?

That's EXACTLY how mine is setup... I have a 20Gal Long sump with 1 divider. one side (smaller) is the return section, and the larger section is the fuge.

Here is a pic from the 1st week it was setup. I've since added more LR and the Cheato now takes up a good portion of the fuge area. Grows like a weed

19852-albums494-picture3351.jpg

I know you are asking Goisles but IMO there is only two choices. Either 24/7 or opposite yout display tank hours.

My DT lights are all off at 11:00 PM. My refuge lights are not set to go on until 12:30am and stay on til 6:30am. My DT lights don't start up again until 10:00am. Should I not have this gap time w/o any lighting? Should I have my refuge lights go on as soon as DT lights turn off and then turn off when DT lights go on in a.m.?

Back
Top Bottom