Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

new rock in tank

I just got my lr.com rock and it didn't smell too bad.. I looked it over( don't really know what to look for) and didn't see too many things that looked that bad, 'cept for a couple of anemones. when anemones start letting out strings, does that mean they're checkin' out? and what else should I look for? My tank is cycled and I want the life to live..

Old 05-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

goin to get more salt now from the store for when the ammonia spikes... any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Old 05-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
are you cycling? can you tell us what you have and how long its been up.
good luck
Old 05-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

been up for 3 weeks.. and ammo and trites are zero.. I had some lr and ls in there while I was cycling.. this is the last 40lbs..
Old 05-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
steve-s

Any mal odors from the rock will mean you should expect some die off. Be ready with prepared SW to control any spikes and you should be fine. Your tank has already cycled for the most part so you are better off than had you just added the rock to a new tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

sure is hard to position this stuff so that u don't crush or harm anything else.. thanks for ur help! My ammonia is already up to about .25 I've got some saltwater curing as we speak..
Old 05-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got some of this baserock sitting ontop of the sand and liverock ontop of that..will the sandsifting starfish or any other type of burrowing animal be ok, when I get them in a few weeks?? or should I position the rock to let the base touch the bottom glass? and should I turn on my protein skimmer now?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanicsublimat
I've got some of this baserock sitting ontop of the sand and liverock ontop of that..will the sandsifting starfish or any other type of burrowing animal be ok, when I get them in a few weeks?? or should I position the rock to let the base touch the bottom glass?
If your going to have any kind of digging or tunneling animals, the closer to the glass the better. These kinds of animals can get underneath and undermine the stability. Sandstars will not be a concern; mostly gobies, jawfish and pistol shrimp.

FWIW, I would recommend against the sandstar. More commonly they will starve to death after a few months.

Quote:
and should I turn on my protein skimmer now?
I would. Reduced organics will mean more life preserved.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok.. then reall I should have nothing to worry about.. I just won't get anything that will dig..thank you again
Old 05-05-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know I shouldn't start feeding this stuff for a few days to let my water get right.... so what do I do when I need to start? I have a decent book about inverts, it has alot of info in it, but it doesn't tell which products to get.. such as the oysters that I have feed off phytoplankton, what brand? and what are some other common foods that I should pick up?

Tags
rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com