new rock with feather dusters, coral and vegetation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pm64971

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 10 lbs of live rock from the lfs. One pice has 4 feather dusters on it. How do I care for these. It also has a tone of green grass stuff on it. I don't know how to care for this either. The other piece has two pieces of coral on it. Both are beginning to turn bone white. Are they dieing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

as far as the dusters go i do nothing for mine and they reproduce great...the green grass stuff mow it...sorry but seriously if it is the same as what i have it isn't anything you really want i had a little of this on one rock in the beginning and it is all over now can not help you with the coral but bone white sounds like it is not going to make it..good luck hope i helped.

It also has a tone of green grass stuff on it

This sounds like hair algae...can we get a pic?

One pice has 4 feather dusters on it.

Feather dusters are filterfeeders and remove detritus, phytoplankton, etc...from the water column. I never do anything for the hitchiker feathers except feed my tank and they do just fine.

The other piece has two pieces of coral on it. Both are beginning to turn bone white. Are they dieing?

Probably, need a pic to ID the corals and give advice on their care. Also need tank information, lighting, parameters and equipment.

feather dusters are good
Hair algae is bad
Coral turning white is bad

Feather dusters eat Phytoplankton, you want these to spread
Hair algae eat "nutrients" It will grow if you have Phospates, nitrates, nitrites in your water You dont want this to spread

Do you have pics of the corals??

Back
Top Bottom