New Royal Gramma in QT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've just acclimated my Royal Gramma to my QT...after an hour, she's still stuck in a bottom corner, facing upwards, barely moving...

I have heard that Gramma's have strange behaviour (and of course she'll be stressed with the move)...

But how do I know when she's not well, or just being a "Gramma"? :p

Gonna try her with a bit of food later.

Does your tank have any place the Gramma can hide? It would help in the stress for them, a piece of pvc works real well for a hiding place. :)

Yep I've got behind the filter, 4 large PVC elbows, and dark card all around and underneath...

She's moved into another corner now :p

One thing I'm concerned about - I just got a Salifert nitrite test (my seachem one just ran out) and it showed nitrite in the QT to be just less than 0.2 (my seachem was 0)...

I guess I should be doing a water change, ASAP. In an emergency (such as this) is it ok to use tap water with de-chlorinator (de-chlorinator straight into the tap water, then salt in straight after) then putting in the salt/buffer and allowing to mix for just 1 hour? Or is that pushing it a bit?

I can change 50% water if neccessary, if that wont damage any bacteria etc.

Or I could do tapwater, de-chl straight in, then salt/buffer straight in but leave it mixing for 12 hours til the morning...

What do you think?

Tap water will work just fine in a pinch. Use the dechlorinator and then add the salt straight away. Mixing overnight will be fine but I would suggest you get another container so you can always have some aged SW at hand if needed..

What brand of dechlor?

Cheers
Steev

Back
Top Bottom