New saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrpartin0108

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello my peeps!! Just wanted to ask a question. I've set up a new 20gal long saltwater aquarium. It's been running exactly a week. I have about 25lbs of live rock and running a canister pump. Have a corallife T5 for lights and 2 hydor 425 fans for flow. My temp is a constant 77 degrees. I already have some brown algae forming. Is that normal?

Hello my peeps!! Just wanted to ask a question. I've set up a new 20gal long saltwater aquarium. It's been running exactly a week. I have about 25lbs of live rock and running a canister pump. Have a corallife T5 for lights and 2 hydor 425 fans for flow. My temp is a constant 77 degrees. I already have some brown algae forming. Is that normal?

its perfectly normal seeing the brown rusty cayno/diatoms that's the silicates dispersing from the sand . every new tank I had I always ran my fingers through the sand like a rake to help shorten that nasty stage.
circulation pumps are a must I see you have 2, I would place one on opposite ends 1 on both back rear side glass in a xriss cross direction aiming both towards rocks and the sand bed just dont aim to low or you will encounter a sand storm , I would suggest another in the center to increase flow through out the tank place it lower on back wall aiming up to give a water ripple on surface , this will also help the air gas exchange

canisters can become nitrate traps if not cleaned often and can become a pain over time . a small sump would give you more water volume and you can keep your skimmer heater ans what ever other equipment so its not a eye sore in the tank

becca asked a good question are you using RO/DI or tap
as tap can add nitrates that feed the brown

welcome to AA (y)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom