Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to joeybuzz2006
Is your budget limited???? If not I would suggest purchasing Cured live Rock right away....around 40lbs....Then also add A powerhead for water movement. After that if your really want fish in your tank and do not want to do a fishless cycle, add only one blue, or domino damselfish, and leave your tank be for 6-8 weeks.....After that if all your levels are fine then only add one fish per month because it will take at least 6-8 months for your tank to become fully established.....Also since it is only a 40 gallon, adding more than one fish at a time ( even after 6-8 weeks) will be a heavy bioload for your tank and will throw your levels off at that point.. Also in my opinion look into the emperor 400 filter..
Good luck....

Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #12

I forgot...Cured live rock is expensive...If you cant afford 40 or more lbs all at once you can start slow and add maybe 10- or 20 now, and add more as you go...

Old 10-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would advise against cycling the tank with a live fish. Someone earlier gave some good advice and said put a small raw shrimp in the tank and just let it do its job in cycling the tank . It is cruel to put a live fish in the tank and go through the cycle that will happen. Most fish will not make it through the ammonia spike and those that do will be mean and overly agressive. One thing about this hobby is that you need to show compassion to all forms of life including aquatic life. Save a life and cycle your tank right.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 PM   #14

I see your point, but i've used my domino damsel to cycly my first 29 gallon, then my 55 gallon, and he's going to cylce my 150 also....he is the biggest healthiest damsel i've ever seen at almost 4 inches.... At that time i was told to start with a damselfish, Nobody told me about fishless cylcle when i was a noobie... I suggested that to him, beacause with one fish cycling his system maybe he wont get new tank syndrome after his fish less cycle and go add 2 or 3 fish at once which in a 40 gallon tank would just throw it into a cycle again.....
Old 10-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If its cycled it is cycled. I just know that if you were that fish you would not want to go through those cycles. I`m sorry but that`s just bad advice

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #16

yeah...I just read an article on fishless cycle, I am definatly going to fishless cycle my new tanks in the future
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi proverbs and welcome! Like all of the others have said, you need to be patient. That was absolutely the HARDEST thing in the world for me. I was so desparate to see fish swimming it was insane. Fortunately, I read, read, read and read some more during the seventy-five months my tank cycled (that's how long it felt, anyway ) and when I finally was in a position to add fish things went quite well. I've been in the hobby one year today and continue to learn more everyday.

Listen to the people here. They are absolutely the best. They genuinely have the best interests of you and the critters you bring into your home in their heart.

Good luck!
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

i noticed that there are white dots that look like water spots in my tank, is this normal? and the residue from the sand is still on the surface. do i just leave everything - or can i manually clean some stuff? its been 2-3 days since i put the water in.
i'm planning to get my live rock tonight.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You also mentioned a 25% water change monthly. For a FOWLR tank, I would say 15% every two weeks. For a reef tank, I would say 10%-15% weekly.

Especially for a smaller tank. Smaller, more frequent PWC's are far healthier than a 25%/month shocker.

This forum is steering your well. Have you decided on what type of tank? FO, FOWLR, reef, partial reef? It's very important to have your tank reasonably focused. It will define your equipment requirements; Lights, skimmer, etc.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
partial reef
What's this mean?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com