Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

new saltwater aquarium owner...

hello. i am a new owner of a 40 gallon JEBO saltwater aquarium. i'm also new to the whole aquairum thing in general. i was looking for some cool fish sites and ran into aquariumadvice. this site seems to be the coolest out of all the ones i saw.
i just finished setting my tank up today. it was actually pretty easy since it's one of those all-in-one aquariums with the heater, filter, and lights. i put the NovAqua and AmQuel and mixed the salt in the water. i used my salt meter and it says that the salt level is perfect.
i am planning to put my live sand in about 5 days later and some fish a few days after i put the sand in. is there anything else that i NEED for the aquarium? is there anything else you guys would recommend me doing?

i've been waiting a long time to get an aquarium and i finally saved up some money and made some room for the aquarium so i'm **** excited!

thanks for any advice.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The live sand should be put in asap with the water and all equipment. Also have you cycled the tank, i assume you have not. If you have not you need to drop a raw shrimp in and wait at least three weeks and then test the water. After you have done this you can add one fish and see how it goes and more marine life slowly. Also do you have any lr or are you using biowheels for the bio load? There is more to know than this but its a place to start and then go from here to there.
good luck.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh i forgot did you use tap water to fill the tank or ro/di water ?? also do you have a test kit?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

although the advice above is decent, i reccomend going to a book store and pick up a copy of "the conscientious marine aquarist" thsi book is really well written adn easy to understand for the beginner, it discusses the cycling process and will help a whole lot when you wanna know what kind of equipment does what and how to start and stock and maintain a tank...its a lot of work at first but once you get things rolling its fairly simple. welcome to the hobby, the site, and hope people here can help as much as possible. but the book is well worth the money and the sooner you get it and start reading the better off you will be. HTH
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for your replies.

flame - i did not know i was supposed to put the live sand in asap - so i will do that tonight or tomorrow morning. i also used tap water - does this matter? i know i have to change about a 1/4 of the water every month - and when i do this, i will buy the water at my LFS. i am planning to get some live rocks in the upcoming week.

mastershake - i will order that book online when i get a chance.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
You need to purchase a RO/DI system, or buy your saltwater/freshwater topoff from the local LFS like I do.

You should do a couple hours of researching and reading online each night till your tank cycles. Search and read through as many articles and posts on here as you possibly can.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have not read that book but i did read " The Aquarium" lots of good info. You can also look on this site they have the good books to read, so you dont waste your time on books that are senseless.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As someone who has been in SW for a year, I've probably saved $5 per hour of time spent reading these forums by not killing fish and not buying unnecessary equipment. Be patient and research every step. It will really save you time and money.

I didn't see any mention of LR. Do you know what you want your tank to look like? Reef, FOWLR, just fish and live sand?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
mastershake - i will order that book online when i get a chance.
I'd recommend you get it beofre you take another step. As you understand more, you'll minimize headaches and a bad experience. From your plans in the first post (although you have been advised differently now/above), you were almost headed for a disaster. Take your time, it'll be well worth it.

Good luck... and of course, Welcome to AA!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that the first thing you need to do is figure out what kind of tank you want and then research the daylights out of it. It will take a while for your tank to cycle so you will have plenty of time. Alot of good advice has been given to you.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com