Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check his belly if it ever becomes "sunken" then you need to worry

Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a scooter blenny and seahorses so its mysis everyday for us. I use the turkey baster method and feed in a scallop shell as a trough. I put a full cube in the bulb of the baster and scoop some tank water and let it thaw out. I then put the tube on the bulb of the baster and squeeze the bulb holding it sideways and filling the bulb and tube in the tank. Finally, I hold the baster vertically and let the mysis float to the bottom of the tube and then gently sqeeze them out and let them float into the "trough". This keeps the mysis juice "cyano jet fuel" out of the tank and everyone is happy.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so far I have had him for 2 days and when I fed him this morning he only ate a little bit of the brine shrimp. Is this normal.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How often are you feeding? Have you tried bloodworms yet? Mine really like them and mysis....
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feed him once a day and my clowns twice a day. I have only tried brine shrimp cause my lfs said he was eating that there.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would keep trying the brine but also try some other frozen foods. I also would feed him multiple times a day until you can get his diet down and he eats regularly. My water parameters aren't that great because of the extra feeding I have to do but it seems to be working out so far. I think I've had my scooter about 6 or 7 months and it took a few weeks to get him on prepared foods. But since then he has eaten like a champ and has gotten alot bigger even has a little belly on him now. LOL

The important thing is to offer a variety of frozen foods for him to choose from and once you find his favorite you can mix in the other foods.

Good luck! let us know how it goes.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so how many times a day would you recommend I feed him.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I fed three times a day at first until i got him eating more and more. Months later I am still feeding the tank twice a day. I also have a mandarin in there too so it works out for both fish.

I use a turkey baster to shoot the food to him, I have him trained to go to the right corner of the tank when it's feeding time. makes life easier if he associates a place for food. Also, I turn off the flow in the tank for maybe 10 minutes when I feed, the dragonets are not the most efficient eaters so they need some extra time to find and consume the food, especially if you have other fish like clowns that gobble the food up so quick.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey I got some good news I fed him for the second time today and he ate more then he did the first time I fed him. Carey I would love to see some photos of your scotter dragonet an you mandarin as well as you tank. Same with any of you others who have these fish I would love to see some photos of them. I will be buying some frozen bloodworms an mysid shrimp to see what he likes most. Is there anyway to sex these guys sometimes when I go over to look at him he put up his big sail looking fin he has on top of his body that has a bit of a gold outline. Thank you everyone
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was also thinking about getting some live Copepoda for my scooter dragonet can adding them cause ammonina spikes and other parameter spikes?

Tags
dragon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com