Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey guys, the other day my girlfriend bought me a Sebae Anemone for my tank, it's a relatively small anemone at the moment, but it may be bigger when it opens, I'm unsure because I've had it for 2-3 days and it still hasn't opened up yet.Here is a picture of what it's been like since we got it and it has moved around the tank and is now around the back under the rock. I'm not sure if it just hasn't adapted yet, or it's scared or maybe even sick but it hasn't opened yet and I'm starting to get a bit worried as this is my first nem. Let me know what you think thanks a lot guys.!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1336781522.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	127584  

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your lighting? How old is your tank & parameters? That anemone
looks very bleached.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
What is your lighting? How old is your tank & parameters? That anemone
looks very bleached.
My lighting is 4 x 24w t5ho'. 2 blue actinic and 2 white. My tank is about 7-8 weeks old, my girlfriend bought it white thinking it was 'attractive' and obviously didn't research or know too much about nem's. Oh and i have been checking my parameters lately and they are all within the desired readings. I have always had perfect readings on my parameters
Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

I think we can tell what the problem is. The tank is too new and the parameters are questionable at best. Lighting is also borderline for a nem. Sorry, dont mean to be the bearer of bad news.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I think we can tell what the problem is. The tank is too new and the parameters are questionable at best. Lighting is also borderline for a nem. Sorry, dont mean to be the bearer of bad news.
Thanks for letting me know, id rather you tell me how it is than find out the hard way. Im pretty disappointed, and wish my gf had of bought a more beginner one with colour or maybe not one at all. Thanks a lot for helping out guys, too bad its unfortunate news.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah sorry I agree, I don't think it will make it. Ideally, anemones should be added when the tank is established, around 6-8 months min.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also your 2 bulb T5 is not going to support it, high end led's or MH, or a 4 or 6 bulb T5, for reference, my nems sit 6 inches under 2x250 MH, I have the same T5 lights but use them only as my morning/evening lighting. The MH are on from 2-7 each day.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I tried to keep a condy under 4 bulb T5HO early after entering the hobby. It wasn't enough to support it. I wouldn't try to keep a nem under anything less than a 6 bulb T5HO. What doesn't help is that a sebae is a more difficult nem to keep as it has been known to struggle during acclimation among other things. Best thing you can do is to *** another T5HO unit asap to get up to 6 bulb or to swap over to led or mh. Keep the parameters stable and keep with water changes. At this point it is all you'll be able to do.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to hop in here, because my nems are two years strong under a 24" quad T5HO. I am also keep a ORA maxima and 2 squamosa clams under my lighting. What it comes down to is the PAR your lighting is giving off. If you are using a bulb like odyssey or anything from a big box retailer, expect low par and poor performance.

I personally use ATI, I am running 2 coral+ and 2 blue+ bulbs with amazing success. The reason I think this is pertinent to bring up here is because I think it is wrong advice to say you cannot keep a nem under a quad T5HO, just have to supply the right quality bulbs.

With that said, I concur with everything else said. Nems just will not prosper in a new tank...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
I have to hop in here, because my nems are two years strong under a 24" quad T5HO. I am also keep a ORA maxima and 2 squamosa clams under my lighting. What it comes down to is the PAR your lighting is giving off. If you are using a bulb like odyssey or anything from a big box retailer, expect low par and poor performance.

I personally use ATI, I am running 2 coral+ and 2 blue+ bulbs with amazing success. The reason I think this is pertinent to bring up here is because I think it is wrong advice to say you cannot keep a nem under a quad T5HO, just have to supply the right quality bulbs.

With that said, I concur with everything else said. Nems just will not prosper in a new tank...
Thanks or for the feedback, what color are your coral lights? And why are they coral lights? Thanks again

Tags
anemone, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com