New set or used one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dd7070

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please let me get right one.

My budget is 2-3,000 dollors only.
First I've try to get estimate and they said custom made 80 gallon aquarium full set without live sand, live rock, and LED light gonna be 2,400 dollor.
After then I've seen used aquarium 150gallon reef ready include almost everything(fishes, coral, sand and rocks). The seller ask 2,000 for everything include delivery and reinstall.

So I got headache for this. Which is better deal?
If I buy new one then I need invest around 1,500dollar more.
The old one is over 4yrs been sitting.

Please anybody help me out of this.
I can't make right decision by myself.

I appreciate you all.

dd7070 said:

First I've try to get estimate and they said custom made 80 gallon aquarium full set without live sand, live rock, and LED light gonna be 2,400 dollor.
After then I've seen used aquarium 150gallon reef ready include almost everything(fishes, coral, sand and rocks). The seller ask 2,000 for everything include delivery and reinstall.

So I got headache for this. Which is better deal?
If I buy new one then I need invest around 1,500dollar more.
The old one is over 4yrs been sitting.

Please anybody help me out of this.
I can't make right decision by myself.

I appreciate you all.

Imo starting with new will allow you to completely customize it the way you want it set it up how you like get the equipment you like and such buying used problems can be moving an established tank usually in my experience causes issues with parameters also used equipment who knows when that could go bad what id do to save money maybe buy used tank make a stand so you can customize it go from there good luck in whatever your decision is happy reefing :)

in terms of cost i think the used setup is a better deal but a new setup is always nice since there is usually less of a concern about something breaking

Buy the old one! Better price and it will cause less of an headache

Jake337 said:
Buy the old one! Better price and it will cause less of an headache

+1
For one, you'll get a bigger tank for cheaper than the newer small tank, and even if you don't like the rock, fish, etc... You saved some money and can always get some newer rock, or equipment. That's just my opinion of what I would do.

I would get the used tank. Live rock and coral are very expensive, to fill a 80 or 150 gallon tank with live rock would cost at least $350 or more. And with the new tank it will be a month before you should add any fish and 3 to 6 months before you should add coral, that's something to consider as well.

I'd get the used one. Sounds like a good deal too but it wouldn't hurt to keeep looking around too. Don't stress it and good luck!

paul87 said:
I'd get the used one. Sounds like a good deal too but it wouldn't hurt to keeep looking around too. Don't stress it and good luck!

Ive acually moved a tank before imo once you disturb the sandbed your gonna have nitrates shoot thru the roof the rock will have some dieoff causeing ammonia and youll probably lose alot of the coral that comes with it this is just my experience of moving a tank and this was only to a different room im my house if you go used id reccommend new livesand and new water might lesson the impact like i said this is only my experience good luck whichever way you go

That is a very vague estimate.

In my opinion go with the used tank as long has everything is in top shape and working order. With the money saved you can afford to upgrade some things as/if needed. Usually live rock and lighting are 2 of the biggest investments in a reef tank.

Ive acually moved a tank before imo once you disturb the sandbed your gonna have nitrates shoot thru the roof the rock will have some dieoff causeing ammonia and youll probably lose alot of the coral that comes with it this is just my experience of moving a tank and this was only to a different room im my house if you go used id reccommend new livesand and new water might lesson the impact like i said this is only my experience good luck whichever way you go

Thats why you dont use the old sand, you use new sand.

Go with the old one its a great deal! Wish I could have found a deal like that when I started.

danbstrong said:

That's why you drain the water level as close as possible to the sandbed. Then readd the same water you drained out back into the tank once you place it where you like it.

Jake337 said:
That's why you drain the water level as close as possible to the sandbed. Then readd the same water you drained out back into the tank once you place it where you like it.

Unfortunately that does not always solve the problem. It depends heavily on how old the tank is and whether or not you clean your sand bed.

When drained as close to the sand as possible the sand no longer bears the weight of all the water that was previously above it. Give it a few sloshes while moving and you are gonna have problems depending on the state of your sand bed. Also any die-off produces ammonia which inevitably ends up as nitrates.

Every tank ive ever moved has experienced changes and major shifts like this. Replacing the sand can limit this however you still going to experience some change from the removal and replacement of the sand bed. Anything over a year old and i would definitely replace especially of you do not vacuum your sand bed.

Schism said:
Unfortunately that does not always solve the problem. It depends heavily on how old the tank is and whether or not you clean your sand bed.

When drained as close to the sand as possible the sand no longer bears the weight of all the water that was previously above it. Give it a few sloshes while moving and you are gonna have problems depending on the state of your sand bed. Also any die-off produces ammonia which inevitably ends up as nitrates.

Every tank ive ever moved has experienced changes and major shifts like this. Replacing the sand can limit this however you still going to experience some change from the removal and replacement of the sand bed. Anything over a year old and i would definitely replace especially of you do not vacuum your sand bed.

Yes if you go used definately imo use new sand and new water

Back
Top Bottom