New set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe1990

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there just setting up marine aquarium completely new to marine so was wondering the process of filling the tank and adding live rock and live sand can I mix all the water in the tank for the first time

I wouldn't add the salt into the aquarium, people have got away with it but it is hard to mix. The way that works best for me is put a small heater in a clean 5 gallon bucket with a strong power head. I let the solution run for a hour to make sure that it is at the correct temp and salinity before I add it to the tank.

As far as sand and LR I add about 3" of water to the bottom of the tank and then the sand, it helps level out the sand and makes it easier to add water without disturbing your layout.

The LR can be done several ways, the best way is to secure then together in a structure that you want outside of the tank. I have seen people using PVC pipes and drilling the rocks to hold them together, I use some epoxy that is for binding rocks and frags and have had good luck with it. Just make sure that the rocks can't be pushed off by fish or urchins and break your tank.

I would not mix it in the tank. Make up your water in a 5 gallon bucket so you can get a perfect salinity. Add your sand and live rock the way you want it in the tank. I found that placing the rock directly on the bottom of my tank worked better than placing it on a deep sand bed. After you've got your desired aquascape add your water. And WAIT for it to cycle.

Ok thanks I just wondered because I have only got two 25 litre containers Which mean a couple of trips to the shop so I mix the water I got leave it running (mixing) while I go get more water then put the pre mixed salt water in the tank so mixing buckets are free to use again and keep repeating process untill tank full sorry if I sound dumb I just don't want any mistakes

i would recommend putting the rock in first.This help to steady the rocks especially if you plan to stock animals that dig in the sand.Mix the saltwater in a bucket first So it has a chance to mix and settle over night.Add the sand to the tank(if you are adding sand.To add the water there are a few ways you can do it.Put a plate on the sand and poor the water onto the plate,poor water against the corner of the glass or use pbc pipe to to fill the tank.After you have the rock,sand and water into the tank add your equipment and then add a source of ammonia.If you have any questions feel free to ask and I would also look at the articles on this site.They have good good info.Good luck and remember it takes patience but will be worth the wait.Good luck!

The only dumb question is the one not asked, a sw tank is easy to take care of once you know how to get your parameters in control. Just take you time, nothing good happens fast in this hobby, just be patent and keep an eye on everything for the first few months, after you get the bacteria all stable it will pretty much take care of it self and all you really have to do is salinity control and water changes, but it takes time for it to get to that stage.

Ok thanks I just wondered because I have only got two 25 litre containers Which mean a couple of trips to the shop so I mix the water I got leave it running (mixing) while I go get more water then put the pre mixed salt water in the tank so mixing buckets are free to use again and keep repeating process untill tank full sorry if I sound dumb I just don't want any mistakes

Why dont you use all pre mixed from your lfs

Ok great I noticed one of you said mix water over night I understand that for your water change to to completely fill a new tank I haven't gore nought buckets or heaters for that lol

My lfs didn't recommend using premixed as I need to learn for my self and and due to evaporation or something I need to have salt here Just in case

My lfs didn't recommend using premixed as I need to learn for my self and and due to evaporation or something I need to have salt here Just in case

You dont top off with saltwater do to evaporation. Just ro will do. Salt doesn't leave the tank usually. As your water evaporates the salinity goes up. I get pre mixed water every week for water changes. And I have an ro system for top offs

Good luck joe. Just have fun with it. Everybody here has there own opinion on how to do things. All I can say is take all the info you can and make it work for your needs. And post pics

Good luck joe. Just have fun with it. Everybody here has there own opinion on how to do things. All I can say is take all the info you can and make it work for your needs. And post pics
Good advice.Keep us post on your progress.:fish1:

If you have a Home Depot near you, they sell ridiculously cheap 5 gallon buckets that I'd considered a necessity. Super helpful

Back
Top Bottom