New set up Calcium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer Allman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up a new tank almost 7 days ago. I've got all the tests and things are looking good except for the calcium level. My Calcium is around 240-260 ppm. I'm using the ESV B-Ionic Calcium buffer system.
I'm using 10 mls of both parts each day just like the directions are calling for. My Calcium levels do not seem to be rising. Should I use more or just be patient. I have 70 lbs of fiji rock in a 38 gallon set up. How long will it be before stuff starts growing? WHat types of things will grow from the rock. Will any corals appear? Should my alkaline be low or high?

A 7 day old tank has no need for chemical additions. If you suspect something amiss with water chemistry, do a few water changes instead. Especially with such large additions needed. Your tank is still cycling and water chemistry will go through a miriad of ups and downs, it's quite normal.

To answer your question though. Alk and Ca should be maintained within NSW levels.
Alk 1.5 - 3 mEq/l
Ca 380-420 ppm

There is no benefit to anything higher but the key is keeping them <<balanced>>. Might want to read through <<this>> article as well.

Cheers
Steve

By chance did you use tap water, or RO water to fill the tank? What salt mix? And what salinity?

steve-s's links are very good reads.

We used well water. The PH of the well water is 7.7-7.8. I used instant ocean. The salinty is 29 ppt. I do have two clown fish and a damsel doing well tank. The live rock does have some life on it. I have two pump heads, plus the filter, I also have a skimmer running, but nothing is coming out of it yet. The rock we put in was cured.

Yikes...... 7 day old tank with fish???? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite? I hope the LR is cured good for the fish.....
Coralline could tank 3-6-8months to start growing a little bit.... Not sure what you expect to be growing.. Lr is called lr because of the bacteria that grows on it as well as some bonus coral, pods ect. Not all Lr has stuff growing for us to see.
B-ionic is a good 2 part system you need to test for alk and cal and keep them blanced like SS says.... Do some more reading on the subject. This is not like a fresh water tank there are alot of things that we need to keep track of with SW tanks.

Back
Top Bottom