New Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a:
-45 g tall tank
-about 30-35 lbs of LR.
-1 blue damsel
-1 yellow eyed tang
-1 scooter blenny
-1 banded shrimp
-1 choc chip starfish
-a few craps and snails

I bought a new SeaClone 100 protein skimmer on Sunday afternoon and there is still no 'scum' at the top. I've never had a skimmer before (only a HOB filter), so I figured there would be tons of crap skimmed out in the first couple days, but nothing yet. Is this normal, or do you think maybe it's defective/not hooked up right?

Also, now that I have this skimmer, should I keep the HOB filter? It's a dual bio-wheel filter for tanks up to 80 g or so. I'm using pads, but no carbon. It gives off very little water movement.

Thanks for and advice....

It can sometimes take a skimmer a week or two to break in and really start collecting scum, there is also the possibility that it is not set correctly.

I have also heard that if the tank is a new setup, or there is not a large bio-load, then it could take weeks to develop scum in the cup.

the tank is not a new setup...but up for about 6 months, just never had a protein skimmer before.

I'm also still running my regular bio-wheel filter.....will that cause any problems?

I don't think the bio-wheel will affect the performance of the skimmer IMO. How much do you have in the tank? LR and or several fish? It seems the more bio load you have, the better the skimmer performs. I would say if you have a decent load, then maybe check the air valve on the skimmer. If it is closed all the way, it only seems to bubble. If you open it about 3/4 to a full turn you should see it coming through the pipe as a white steady stream of water. You might have to tweak it to get it just right.

Mike

Are you gettin bubbles to the top of your cup? The foam filter has an adjustable stem in it raise it untill you get your bubbles into your cup, then fine tune. Vince

Back
Top Bottom