Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 68
New skimmer, canister and lights!

Hey guys, next week I will be receiving an order I purchased online including a: 200gph canister filter with 9v uv light.
400gph protein skimmer
2x t5ho 24w 60cm lights with blue and white bulbs.

If I remove my old filter and add in my new one, will it have much of an impact on my aquarium? And will my levels change at all? Thanks guys.
__________________

__________________
Bigalwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigalwoo
Hey guys, next week I will be receiving an order I purchased online including a: 200gph canister filter with 9v uv light.
400gph protein skimmer
2x t5ho 24w 60cm lights with blue and white bulbs.

If I remove my old filter and add in my new one, will it have much of an impact on my aquarium? And will my levels change at all? Thanks guys.
Wait! So you already have a fully cycled tank set up? If so, then yes! It will have a big effect on your levels!!! Don't take the old one off yet!! Leave it there and ADD the new one, run them both together for a couple weeks. That will give the new filter time to build up BB before you remove the old one. After 2-3 weeks, then you can safely remove the old filter. Although you might wanna put some of the old filter media into the new filter instead of tossing it out when u remove it.
__________________

__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

Wait! So you already have a fully cycled tank set up? If so, then yes! It will have a big effect on your levels!!! Don't take the old one off yet!! Leave it there and ADD the new one, run them both together for a couple weeks. That will give the new filter time to build up BB before you remove the old one. After 2-3 weeks, then you can safely remove the old filter. Although you might wanna put some of the old filter media into the new filter instead of tossing it out when u remove it.
Yes my tank has been cycled and has been running for about 5-6 weeks now. Ohhkay sounds good, should I also add bacteria made for new canister filters? My mate said that's what he did.
__________________
Bigalwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
No, you don't need it. The filter will be seeded as it works along with your old filter. When you finally do take down the old one, just put some of the media from it into the new filter- whatever you can get to fit.
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 68
Ohhkay sounds good, thanks for the advice. Can't wait to get my setup happening.!
__________________
Bigalwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Holygral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 786
Why are you running a canister filter, not needed and shouldnt be used in a reef system, if so the medial needs changed every day or 2. Nitrate factory
__________________
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral
Why are you running a canister filter, not needed and shouldnt be used in a reef system, if so the medial needs changed every day or 2. Nitrate factory
They are only aa nitrate factory if not properly maintained. The issue artists that no one maintains them correctly, ie weekly cleaning. But it it's correct that they aren't needed on a reef system. the use of sumps, refugiums, and skimmers easily replace a canister. Canisters are kinda outdated tech imo.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Holygral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Posts: 786
yes, coming from the fresh water industry, it is always to wrap your head around a clear stable tank without a large canister filter, Im sure 90% of us have some in our attic, lol
__________________
Holygral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral
Why are you running a canister filter, not needed and shouldnt be used in a reef system, if so the medial needs changed every day or 2. Nitrate factory
I'm getting one because a sump/ref is not an option in my case and having the extra water flow coming out of the tank and back through, with a bit more maintenance in my book is a plus to my tank.
__________________
Bigalwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigalwoo

I'm getting one because a sump/ref is not an option in my case and having the extra water flow coming out of the tank and back through, with a bit more maintenance in my book is a plus to my tank.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. No room for a sump in my corner tank cabinet. There are lots of people in our boat, too!! Lol. It has nothing to do with outdated thinking, just necessity. And I clean it every week, like clockwork.
__________________

__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canister, light, lights, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.