New skimmer, canister and lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, next week I will be receiving an order I purchased online including a: 200gph canister filter with 9v uv light.
400gph protein skimmer
2x t5ho 24w 60cm lights with blue and white bulbs.

If I remove my old filter and add in my new one, will it have much of an impact on my aquarium? And will my levels change at all? Thanks guys.

Bigalwoo said:
Hey guys, next week I will be receiving an order I purchased online including a: 200gph canister filter with 9v uv light.
400gph protein skimmer
2x t5ho 24w 60cm lights with blue and white bulbs.

If I remove my old filter and add in my new one, will it have much of an impact on my aquarium? And will my levels change at all? Thanks guys.

Wait! So you already have a fully cycled tank set up? If so, then yes! It will have a big effect on your levels!!! Don't take the old one off yet!! Leave it there and ADD the new one, run them both together for a couple weeks. That will give the new filter time to build up BB before you remove the old one. After 2-3 weeks, then you can safely remove the old filter. Although you might wanna put some of the old filter media into the new filter instead of tossing it out when u remove it.

Beengirl said:
Wait! So you already have a fully cycled tank set up? If so, then yes! It will have a big effect on your levels!!! Don't take the old one off yet!! Leave it there and ADD the new one, run them both together for a couple weeks. That will give the new filter time to build up BB before you remove the old one. After 2-3 weeks, then you can safely remove the old filter. Although you might wanna put some of the old filter media into the new filter instead of tossing it out when u remove it.

Yes my tank has been cycled and has been running for about 5-6 weeks now. Ohhkay sounds good, should I also add bacteria made for new canister filters? My mate said that's what he did.

No, you don't need it. The filter will be seeded as it works along with your old filter. When you finally do take down the old one, just put some of the media from it into the new filter- whatever you can get to fit.

Why are you running a canister filter, not needed and shouldnt be used in a reef system, if so the medial needs changed every day or 2. Nitrate factory

Holygral said:
Why are you running a canister filter, not needed and shouldnt be used in a reef system, if so the medial needs changed every day or 2. Nitrate factory

They are only aa nitrate factory if not properly maintained. The issue artists that no one maintains them correctly, ie weekly cleaning. But it it's correct that they aren't needed on a reef system. the use of sumps, refugiums, and skimmers easily replace a canister. Canisters are kinda outdated tech imo.

yes, coming from the fresh water industry, it is always to wrap your head around a clear stable tank without a large canister filter, Im sure 90% of us have some in our attic, lol

Holygral said:

I'm getting one because a sump/ref is not an option in my case and having the extra water flow coming out of the tank and back through, with a bit more maintenance in my book is a plus to my tank.

Bigalwoo said:
I'm getting one because a sump/ref is not an option in my case and having the extra water flow coming out of the tank and back through, with a bit more maintenance in my book is a plus to my tank.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. No room for a sump in my corner tank cabinet. There are lots of people in our boat, too!! Lol. It has nothing to do with outdated thinking, just necessity. And I clean it every week, like clockwork. :)

Beengirl said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. No room for a sump in my corner tank cabinet. There are lots of people in our boat, too!! Lol. It has nothing to do with outdated thinking, just necessity. And I clean it every week, like clockwork. :)

Well said. \(^_^)/

Back
Top Bottom