new skimmer not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just tried to hook up a new protein skimmer and its not doing anything. My tank is a 55 gal, the skimmer is Americal rated for a 90 gal. I have it hanging on the back of my tank and hooked up to a power head in the tank that should be pushing 270gph. The air pump is a profile 1000. I'm very confused on how this thing should be hooked up....please help :wink:

Uhg, Air driven skimmers are not my favorite, and most tend to suck. One way or the other, you can't expect much from a new skimmer as it has to break in, this can take a few days.

Are you using a wooden airstone, does the air pump...pump the amount of air this skimmer needs to operate? Is the pump the recommended pump?

yes we have a wooden air stone, we couln't find the recomended power head, all the instrutions said was a small air pump?

Now I know why my skimmer isn't working very well, I didn't realize it was suppose to suck!? lol

Is it a new skimmer? Does the company have a website with troubleshooting help?

if I bring the air pump closer and shorten the air line will it put out more power? Its been over a week and its not working right the gunk is collecting under the cup along the walls

Sounds like you need more air going into it. I don't think your air pump is big enough. On an air driven skimmer you should have the biggest air pump you can find, something on the line of a Hagen Optima. The bubbles should be real dense inside the skimmer...but make sure you have a good quality wooden air block too so the bubbles are very very small.

Back
Top Bottom