New star fish....I need some thoughts on this one..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I say new,I mean brand new.
This is a baby.
He might fit on a pencil eraser with his points maybe reaching the edges.Maybe.

I added a a CC star fish about a month ago.Yesterday i see this guy.
A wee little thing,on the glass.
No new rock in months so I'm guessing offspring?

Two arms are proportional.One is about 50% and the other two are about 20% of expected length given the overall size.

The thing is...I don't know if he's being damaged by the fish or is still developing?Are there eggs or is it live birth?What size is a choclate chip newbe?Do arms develope late or is he damaged already?Has this one aged a bit while hidden?

Kole Tang,yellow Tang and clown,thats its for fish....also some crabs and snails.

Should I do nothing and wait?Set up a little tank until it gets bigger?
Its pretty cool and I'd like to see it work out....but..Ima agonna need some advice lol.

Well...I don't think so.

I only saw it for a few minutes before work last night and I never got to see the "top"....just the underbelly on the front glass.No signs of it this morning.

Bodywise it looks like Chip though....a miniature match imo.

Hmm, it could be a new one. I believe they can regrow from severed parts, but I am not too sure how big the severed part has to be or what specific parts will regrow. We'll have to wait for someone with more knowledge.

I dont think it is an offspring. I believe it is what Scott was talking about. I have hundreds of them in my tank. I have never seen a regular size star reproduce in a tank, not saying they never have but those micro stars I call them will reproduce like there aint no tomorrow. They reproduce by losing some of their legs and multiplying.

melosu58 said:
I dont think it is an offspring. I believe it is what Scott was talking about. I have hundreds of them in my tank. I have never seen a regular size star reproduce in a tank, not saying they never have but those micro stars I call them will reproduce like there aint no tomorrow. They reproduce by losing some of their legs and multiplying.
That was my first thought also while reading your post before I even got to see scott's reply.
The irregular arms is a hallmark of those asterina stars.
I've also got them in my main tank and thought they were babies at first.

Agree on the asterina star.

Scott, trying to remember back a year or so when I sliced open a starfish in lab one day, but for most stars to reproduce they must have a section of their central disk. Of course, it's not like that for all stars (ie: crown of thorns) but for most the central disk and how much they have attached to them when they are severed for whatever reason, is key to if it will grow into another star or not.

Back
Top Bottom