Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Question New Stock List for 72bowfront.

After losing 8 fish in 3 days due to ich my tank is setting fallow for 45 days. I will restock slowly and am now using a QT tank for all fish purchased. Lesson learned and I will not be without a QT again. My restock list is below and comments welcome but I realize that 2 small bristletooth tangs may be a risk. The 2 listed are very different from each other and I will keep a close eye on them and be ready to move one if needed. For clarification the DT is setting fallow with inverts,coral frags and live rock still running the tank.

Please let me know about this revised list in the order of introduction planned.

1-Two Spot Bristletooth, in QT now.
1-White tail Bristletooth, very different color than the 2 spot.
2-Standard Ocillaris clowns (intro a nem while clowns in QT) Tank age considering QT time will be 6mos.
1-Green clown Goby
1-purple psuedochromis

Total 6 fish in 72 bowfront with 20 gal sump. These fish will be introduced after each has served time in QT for observation and treatment if needed. Would it be prudent to treat all tangs with copper product before introducing to DT while they are in QT?

ShooterRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I would personally wait eight weeks before you add any fish (just to make sure all of the ich is gone). As far as Tangs go, I probably wouldn't add a second one to your tank. There is the possibility of fighting, like you said, but I feel that the tank is too small for two Tangs. it is very smart of you to be thinking about treating new fish before going into the display tank. I, personally have began using the hypo salinity method to make sure any oncoming fish is free of ich.

[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
+1 Redsea

I would also caution against two tangs in that tank, not enough room and that will just increase the chance of aggression.

The white tail bristletooth is still out of stock as well, I've been on the email list since before christmas and they still havent' come in yet. :-(
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award
I kept 2 tangs in my 110. I used an acrylic divider to introduce the tangs ( Lavender & Sail fin ). I have 9 different tangs in my 450 today.
SWSCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
After much reading I am not doing 2 tangs in the 72. I will substitute a Carpenters Flasher Wrasse for the white tail as the 2 spot bristletooth is in QT now. After the tang goes in I will put the Carpenters and Green Clown Goby in QT together as they are peaceful and will be small though the Carpenters can get 3 inches when mature.
ShooterRick is offline   Reply With Quote

bowfront, stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com