New stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading to a larger tank (25-30g, up from my current 10g), and I'd like some advice on stocking.

I currently have an ocellaris clown, magenta dottyback, and a (tiny) yellow clown goby. I'd also like to add either:-

a) Yellowpeel angel
b) Small yellow tang and flame/flameback angel

...and also a royal gramma. But, my dottyback was very aggressive towards an orange firefish I tried in the tank a few months ago (similar bodyshape?), so would the 2 get on?

There'll also ideally be some corals in there (soft), along with some hermit crabs and a few snails.

Any advice appreciated on if the inhabitants will get on ok, and the order of the new ones.

The Yellow tang would be out of the question. They need plenty of swimming room. I also agree that the similar body shape will be a big question with the royal gramma.

The Yellow tang would be out of the question. They need plenty of swimming room. I also agree that the similar body shape will be a big question with the royal gramma.

Thanks for the reply. It'll be a longish (3ft+) tank, with lots of room left in front of and behind rock for swimming. Will the yellow tang still not do very well?

I think I will definitely leave the gramma though; does anyone have any suggestions as to any other fish I could add? I want a good mix of bright colours, inquisitive/not shy, characters ideally...

I'm now considering a 180l (50g), which will hopefully give me more options for stocking.

Another option would be humbug damsels, and what about adding another clown (the clown I have has been on his own for 2+ years, will he be ok with a new friend??).

a 50gal is still a bit tight for a yellow tang...they need at least a 75gal IMO. Checl out the sixline wrasse. It should get along with your current fishlist.

Thanks...I wonder if adding another ocellaris clown at this stage (2 years on) would be a bad idea? Will my current clown get on with it?

Also looking at a black & white butterfly, and also a lemonpeel angel/flame angel.

Is this going to be a reef tank. Reason I`m asking is because you have some potential coral munchers there.

Is this going to be a reef tank. Reason I`m asking is because you have some potential coral munchers there.

Ideally, yes, but probably not hard corals. I just wouldn't mind a bit of texture/colour in there from easy to look after corals, if poss? But, the fish are more important to me...

Which could be the problem with corals?

Also looking at a black & white butterfly, and also a lemonpeel angel/flame angel.

Butterfly fish and angel fish are prone to munch on corals. I had two angels that were good for 4 yrs and then nearly wrecked my reef. They went after the fleshy LPS corals. Destroyed a hammer and a brain coral.

Hmm, I'm struggling to find fish that I really like that are suitable for my tank. I may be persuaded to have no corals at all, and/or risk it. Are there any corals you'd suggest that they're more than likely to stay away from?

If you already have the 3" tank who stop at 50? There are 65/70/75g tanks with the same footprint that will greatly increase your options for very minimal cost

MarkW19, believe me if you have the money go as big as you can. The reason I say this is in the end you will be much happier. I only went with a 55gallon, and at this point wish I would of went with atleast 75. This extra $100 will help you get the fish you want.

I have put a lot into the tank I have, and there is still so much to do. This bigger tank will also help keep it more stable, allow for more stock, and also look better due to the simple fact you can keep so much more. Now if you plan on corals in that tank you will need some nice lights. But then again, thats all part of the hobby :)

Thanks for the advice guys, it's not a question of money it's space really, I'm going up from a 10g to a 50g, and the 105 only just fitted there really! It'll be a tight squeeze, but I really can't go bigger than 50g.

I'm thinking of the Juwel Vision 180, which seems a really nice aquarium, and comes with some decent T5s.

Understandable about the space. However 75 gallon tanks are usually 48"x18x20". No longer than the 50 unless the dimensions are different.

The tank I'm looking at is 91cm wide (36"), so it's out of the question unfortunately to have a 48".

Will have a rethink on the stocking front. For now, I just need to get the new tank to get the skimmer/UV in there and better filtration, to have a good chance at minimising an algae problem this time round!

65 Tall = 36" x 18" x 24" in case you don't know. Just throwing out that option too :)

Back
Top Bottom