New sump / fuge build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane0f

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all I'm attempting to build my first sump tank. I have limited room under my dt so will be setting it up next to it.
My main tank is 400l and the sump tank will be 100l
Here is sketch of how I'm thinking of setting it up
Any feed back, hints, tips, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405395466.726912.jpg
Cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why are you running a hob skimmer in a sump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Use macro algae on top instead of sand at bottom. Add another glass plate at the center chamber so that water comes out at the bottom and not at the top. By doing so, water will not just flow on top but circulate from bottom thru the rocks. I would put hob skimmer at the center chamber if outlet is on the right. Location of heater is impractical. Relocate at the center chamber at the bottom of added glass plate. It will minimize temperature differential (hi and lo).

Thanks jeff I like your idea of extra glass piece to make water flow through rocks. I was hoping to use the centre as a display refugium so this may Ugly it up a bit. Would it be beneficial having sand and the algae or is sand a waste of time ?

I edited a little bit. Center chamber where water comes out thru the rocks. Sump/fuge is meant to be ugly in return it makes display much cleaner. Sand in fuge has little benefits since you already have LR.

Okay cool yeah I run my dt with a bare bottom anyway without issues.
I know in most cases they're not meant to be pretty. But because it won't be hidden under my cabinet but next to main tank I wanted it to look semi decent maybe have some cool inverts small fish maybe.

Pods would be a bonus
The main reason for the build is to keep my dt at right water level and to skim the surface better than it is now without it.
Secondly to remove micro bubbles from skimmer in dt / hide equipment.
Extra volume of water / more flow
All other benefits are nice but these are my main goals
Cheers jeff

With filter sock, hob filter and return pump I don't think it will look pretty to be a DT lol. Not to mention all those hoses that is going in and out of the sump.

Back
Top Bottom