New Sump Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all -

I made some changes to the sump once again. I realized the way I had it before it would not allow enough water for water changes and such. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to complete this project, please feel free to edit and send back. That means you too Rob. lol

Mike

Attachments

• berlin_method_135.jpg
    berlin_method_135.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 60
Looks good Mike!!

Again... make sure to add in the bubble trap (red). You'll thank yourself 1000 times later. This will prevent bubbles from entering your sump pump and returning a million micro bubbles back into your tank.

Second... just to clarify, with the way your baffles are, the water line will be in green. Nothing wrong with this... it's just the way the water will react. :wink: Water follows a direct path. Again... nothing wrong, just correcting your drawing.

Other than that... you're on a good track!!! :D

EDIT: upon further review, The first baffle (from left to right) was switched with the 2nd baffle. Switch them around, and you'll be better off. This is the way the water will flow. Others will post their opinions too... but this is definately how I would do it if it were mine. :wink:

Attachments

• berlin_method2.jpg
    berlin_method2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 48
Thanks again for your expertise, Rob. Also, does it matter the thickness of the baffles? I know HD carries them and can get a few sheets for cheap. Once more question, what did you use to seal the baffles? Mine is complete acrylic, so I can't remember if you used glass or not. Thanks again!

Mike

Ok Rob. This may sound stupid, but I understand what needs to happen now. The part that was confusing me was the baffle that was suspended above so that water can get through. Sometimes I'm a little slow.. :roll:
Thanks again bud!

Mike

Attachments

• berlin_method_214.jpg
    berlin_method_214.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 32
Mike... please review my edited post and NEW pic. (the one you posted just now is off. Follow the pic I posted for the way the water will flow. Water cannot go through a baffle the way you had it :wink: ) This setup, following what you wanted to accomplish, would be ideal IMO. You would just have to purchase the last four baffles (or cut) to the same size, and the first piece slightly taller (the first baffle). If you notice, all of the other 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th baffles are the same size. The one in the middle of the bubble trap is just elevated (like in my sump plans). Just follow the pic, and you should be home free.

I would go with 1/4" plexi. If the sump is glass, then 5/16" would be sufficient. (1/4" if you can afford it... but not necessary). I used glass, and used pure silicon made for aquariums (at HD). Glass won't stick to acrylic well at all though... so if you do use acrylic, make sure to use a lot of the silicon to keep things semi-secure. Remember... you will have to regularly reinforce this. BUT... If your sump is made of acrylic, then you're in luck! :D Check with plastic stores around your area for acrylic glue (forget the # of glue that you use). That stuff bonds acrylic to acrylic like CRAZY. Good luck!! (y)

So are you suggesting the baffles be in the diagram attached?

Mike

Attachments

• berlin_method_163.jpg
    berlin_method_163.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 32
That last pic came out wrong. Here is an update .GIF drawing that seems to carry everything over.

Let me know if this is better. Thanks again!

Mike

Attachments

• berlin_method.gif
    berlin_method.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 29
Allllllllmost. You have the idea right on though!!! It's just that you need to make sure the baffle 2 is at the water line height. If you raise the second baffle to where you have it, you'll end up raising the water line too, which will create problems with the bubble trap... Go off of this FINAL pic. It's what you have, just corrected (sorry to be anal, just don't want ya to end up with something that doesn't work as you planned) :wink:

Just so you know in case there's a confusion... water will get through baffles 3,4,5 just fine. What happens is that water goes down between baffles 3 and 4. Water goes back up between baffles 4 and 5. This is done automatically by gravity. Just as long as baffle 4 is raised up a couple inches, you'll be fine. Leave everything else up to hydro physics.

img_435847_0_ffa2f903b783b87dbb5cc621028f2344.jpg

ok, Great! I gotcha now. Here is the final one.

Mike

Attachments

• berlin_method_241.jpg
    berlin_method_241.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 31
Mike and Rob,
How come you now have baffle #1 higher than the rest? I know that in Rob's sump, the last one is higher to control flow into the fuge. Rob mentioned a "waterfall" effect... Is this for higher circulation in the LR portion?

Looks great, though.

Good luck with it.

Baffle #1 is higher just so that the water level is constant in the other chambers. If the first baffle is ANY shorter than the others, then the water level in the second couple of chambers will rise and fall, rise and fall constantly with evaporation. You want your skimmer to be in a part of the chamber that doesn't fluctuate. This will add a bit more to water volume as well. First time I made a sump, I didn't raise the first baffle... and was sorry I didn't :wink:

The waterfall effect isn't really anything... I just wanted to make sure that Mike understood how the water was going to flow in the sump. If the first baffle is higher, then water will flow down like a mini waterfall into the 2nd chamber. I like mine because with my fan blowing over the sump, it helps cool the water a bit better with the water surface being turbulent rather than just staying there. Don't worry, you won't even hear it. :D HTH

Back
Top Bottom