new SW tank??? maybe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend of mine has a 30 gallon FW tank that he might give to me. I have a good light but.... can I use a FW filter and heater and start cycling the tank???

Not sure what that is but no don't use the same filter pads. Just get live rock To cycle the tank. Also get sand. Thefilter has to be rated for about fifty gallons for a 30 at min IMO. You don't need strong lighting unless Ur doing a reef tank.

Not sure what that is but no don't use the same filter pads. Just get live rock To cycle the tank. Also get sand. Thefilter has to be rated for about fifty gallons for a 30 at min IMO. You don't need strong lighting unless Ur doing a reef tank.

I'm still up in the air about what I wanna do... I have a light off a 20 gallon biocube I want to sell but no idea of what they are worth...

Ok guys... looks like I'm scoring a 30 gallon tank. Complete setup but its freshwater.. I've got a light but what's a cheap sw filter? Can I use the fw filter (standard 30 gal overflow) with adifferent cartridge?

If the freshwater filter is powerful enough for that tank, sure, you can use it.

It won't help in cycling the tank though.

So I got the tank, heater and light. My question is, a friend of mine has a filter. He said its either a 55 or 75 gallon. My tank is 30. He said its new in the box for $25. Is this a good filter? Below is a pic he sent me.

img_1585165_0_879e46b05c161e244496a60878c86eb1.jpg

Travis55 said:
So I got the tank, heater and light. My question is, a friend of mine has a filter. He said its either a 55 or 75 gallon. My tank is 30. He said its new in the box for $25. Is this a good filter? Below is a pic he sent me.

Oui.

If you can read the instructions!

Well my buddy comes through again! He's trading me a complete 55 for my complete 30. Only bad thing is a gotta buy more live rock at $7 a lb than I originally thought... but an exra bag of crushed coral at $18, some more lace rock $2 lb, a 90 gal jug of salt mix $36, all to go into tank I got for free. Lol good thing saltwater can be a slow and steady thing... lots of cycle time to slowly add more live rock.

Back
Top Bottom