Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
It would make a good reef tank tho

Patrick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by SWSCJ
Too small. Mr X is right on with the size. We are designing our next tank now, 1800 gallons+, and I wouldn't house it.
I may just move to the bottom floor. What about plywood tanks. I have seen a few articles and videos on the. And they are pretty impressive when the right person builds them. Does anyone know of anyone that has experience with these or any history of problems. Price is not really an issue and I am willing to make the arrangements needed in order complete this project. I just want something when someone sees it there mouths drop open I think it will take a swimming shark to do it. Most of the large tanks I see on line in homes are wood. Not sure how they do but they look nice when finished.

gafights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There are plenty of fish, inverts, and corals out there with "wow" factor. A nicely stocked reef packed with the most colorful Australian corals is more beautiful and interesting than a shark swimming in circles over and over and over.
My opinion would be to stick with the original plan and make it an awesome reef.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award
3000 Gallon Custom Shark Aquarium YouTube

Leads to where you want to go.
SWSCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by mr_X
No way can you have a free swimming shark in that tank for very long, if at all. Even with rounded corners, it will bounce off of the walls and damage itself. You need something a little bigger. Perhaps 6500 gallons.
I agree. My kids orthodontist has a 2000g eliptical tank in their office. They had a 3+ foot black-tip in there and all he did was swim in a right-handed circle. It got to a point where his left eye was all messed up from rubbing on the acrylic and they got rid of him. I think they donated him to Mote Marine Laboratories, which is local. They had him for a couple of years, and as impressive as it was to see that shark, being a hobbyist, I couldn't help but feel bad for it. Also have a Sohal , Clown and Achilles tang ( which are awesome btw) and some other fish, but the shark did nothing but circles.
IMO a thriving reef will give you years of wonder and amazement, whereas you watch the shark for about 10 minutes, and you've seen it all.
Good advice X.
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I agree with Mr x as well. A shark no matter what size belongs in the ocean.
Fish are our friends.
Crystal A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't think any of those sharks can be kept in an 8ft tank.... If you could make an 18ft tank (no corners) I think they would work.

If you ever heard about tanked and the controversy of how they over-stock tanks they insisted a customer get an 18ft tank for a small black tip b/c his original plan was not long enough.

I do not mean to sound like a jerk a top/large ocean predator needs a huge tank.

As for fish with them I would say ones that have defenses and are very fast, such as:

Large tangs or some poisonous fish like fox face.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
I think u guys sound like you know what your talking about. I am really going to have to rethink what to do here. We will see what options I come up with. Thanks for the help I will definately take your advice. Great forum. Ps. After scavaging through the Internet I noticed this question with sharks asked a lot. And most of the time people get trashed like they are criminals when they asked Thanks for being constructive and polite.

gafights is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com