Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Tank

New to the board. Here goes.

I am currently building a new aquarium in my home. Measurements will 96X48X36 Rounded ends. Apprx 650 gal Acrylic. This aquarium is custom and I am looking to house a shark. I am not afraid of honest answers so dont hold back . The company has been paid but I still have the opprotunity to go bigger if I need to.

Questions

Looking to house one swimming shark, Leapoard, Smoothhound, Bonnetthead, or Sharp nose. Which is good for this size if any. I will be purchasing a male shark (I have researched that they are smaller?)

How much live rock do I need. I know I wont need much.

What tank cleaners can be added. Crab, starfish, shrimp ect.

What tank mates can live with a shark to add a little flavor to the tank.

What corals can be added if any.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafights
New to the board. Here goes.

I am currently building a new aquarium in my home. Measurements will 96X48X36 Rounded ends. Apprx 650 gal Acrylic. This aquarium is custom and I am looking to house a shark. I am not afraid of honest answers so dont hold back . The company has been paid but I still have the opprotunity to go bigger if I need to.

Questions

Looking to house one swimming shark, Leapoard, Smoothhound, Bonnetthead, or Sharp nose. Which is good for this size if any. I will be purchasing a male shark (I have researched that they are smaller?)

How much live rock do I need. I know I wont need much.

What tank cleaners can be added. Crab, starfish, shrimp ect.

What tank mates can live with a shark to add a little flavor to the tank.

What corals can be added if any.
How much past experience in salt water do you have ?? sounds like a awesome tank

Old 05-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

welcome and good choice on a forum to pick loll....well what shark are you getting for sure that will let you know the rest of your questions .....and you'll still need rock but placed in the middle so shark can swim if he does swim in circles etc...as some sharks sit on the bottom ....also soft sand on bottom of tank so it won't damage the sharks sensitive belly

125G Reef Tank and Corals
29G Reef Tank and Corals
Reefpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have no experience in saltwater but tons in freshwater. I have had huge tanks with very large freshwater fish. Pacu snakehead oscars wolf fish ect. I have hired a friend of mine for all the maintence that has 25 yrs experience in aquaria. Mainly saltwater and does own sharks. H is the one who convinced me to go to saltwater. He tells me that it is actually less maintence once it is up and running. I have experience in exotic reptiles as well. Not that this is the same thing but it looks as if the main problem with sharks size and being able give them adequate room. This happens to be the same with reptiles that I have owned such as a 22 ft reticulated python Cayman and seven ft lizards and so on.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I have no experience in saltwater but tons in freshwater. I have had huge tanks with very large freshwater fish. Pacu snakehead oscars wolf fish ect. I have hired a friend of mine for all the maintence that has 25 yrs experience in aquaria. Mainly saltwater and does own sharks. H is the one who convinced me to go to saltwater. He tells me that it is actually less maintence once it is up and running. I have experience in exotic reptiles as well. Not that this is the same thing but it looks as if the main problem with sharks size and being able give them adequate room. This happens to be the same with reptiles that I have owned such as a 22 ft reticulated python Cayman and seven ft lizards and so on.
U had a 22 ft reticulated?! That's crazy I'd love to see some pics lol sounds like money anit a issue so I'd say try to go bigger with the tank the bigger the happier the shark will be
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick93

U had a 22 ft reticulated?! That's crazy I'd love to see some pics lol sounds like money anit a issue so I'd say try to go bigger with the tank the bigger the happier the shark will be
Yeah. Amongst others. I don't have digital photos because it was about 13 -14 years ago. So most of my pics are old school but I will try to scan some. 16 ft Burmese python 12 albino Burmese python 5 ft water monitor and Nile monitor and crocodile monitor. Some other things that were smaller put still decent size. Very easy to care for snakes as long as u have the room.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Yeah. Amongst others. I don't have digital photos because it was about 13 -14 years ago. So most of my pics are old school but I will try to scan some. 16 ft Burmese python 12 albino Burmese python 5 ft water monitor and Nile monitor and crocodile monitor. Some other things that were smaller put still decent size. Very easy to care for snakes as long as u have the room.
I don't know how much Niger I can go mainly because of the weight. I am putting it on the second floor so my biggest concern is how much floor reinforcement I will need to add or if I can add more. A friend I have is an engineer and he told me that where I plan on putting is fine but anymore weight could be a problem.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No way can you have a free swimming shark in that tank for very long, if at all. Even with rounded corners, it will bounce off of the walls and damage itself. You need something a little bigger. Perhaps 6500 gallons.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Too small. Mr X is right on with the size. We are designing our next tank now, 1800 gallons+, and I wouldn't house it.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com