New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel488

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set up a new biocube 29 but left my live rock in my old tank to try and kill the Cyanobacteria the lights are off and I put chemiclean in but it won't go away any advice on what to do

Cyano is just a part of a new tank.. your better off setting it up completely and let it run through its cycles/blooms. Welcome to AA by the way, glad you found us here :)

It became a huge problem in my 29 I'd suck it all out and it'd be back x2 the next day. Invest in a protein skimmer! Sand is beautiful after only a week with it.

So I should just take the live rock out off my old tank and put it in and let it do its thing

So I should just take the live rock out off my old tank and put it in and let it do its thing

Yep, cyano is only an issue when there are excess nutrients in the water and also low flow areas once your tank has matured. New tanks will experience cyano issues 90% of the time from the die off and any organics on/in your sand/rock. It will disappear as fast as it shows up one day its just a waiting game most of the time lol

Also a protein skimmer really isn't needed on a BC or any tank that size. They can help but when your dealing with smaller tanks small frequent water changes will always beat a protein skimmer in nutrient export IMO. I know people with 200+ gallon skimmerless systems that still have success just not as much with SPS since they require near prestine water conditions and stability more then any other family of coral.

Thanks for the advice guy I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom