Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New tank

I just started my first saltwater tank. It's a 90 gallon tank. I have added about 60lbs of live rock and a mix of live sand and regular sand bout another 50 lbs. I have been checking the ammonia for a week now and it hasn't gone above 1 ppm. Is my tank not cycling or is it done already? Could anyone help me with some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Give it time! Be patient with it. How do you have it cycling? Just LR?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Did you get your rock from your LFS? I had a similar experience with no live rock die off on my first tank. I never registered ammonia 'trites or 'trates during the "cycle"

If it was me and I had been going for a week, I'd probably wait another two, and if you haven't registered anything, go ahead and add the clean up crew.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got the rock from a large pet place about an hour from me. read to put in a cocktail shrimp but I'm a little nervous about that. I also read about introducing a cheap durable fish. The rock smelled a little a few days after I put it in but it's gone now and I never noticed any spikes with my tests unless it was very fast and I just missed it.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just to confirm, the store had the rock in a tank, right?

Personally, I don't like the idea of putting in a cheap durable fish. The possibility of making them live in a poison environment seems a bit cruel to me.

If you have some fish food, you can dump some in if you don't want to do the cocktail shrimp route.

If the rock came from a tank at the store, I think it is possible you just aren't having all that much die off on the rock, so the cycle is "soft". If you're still sitting there after 3-4 weeks total, I think you're good. This was my experience on two tanks and they have all been in great shape
Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you all for your help. The rock was in water when I bought it and I kept it in water transporting it and put it right in my tank. I was also wondering if 60 lbs was enough for a 90 gallon tank. I also have the sand but I don't know if that counts. Everyone seems to say 1 lbs of rock to 1 gallon of water. The guy I talked to at my lfs told me just to start with 50-60 lbs and see how it looks. Is this enough?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

1lb per gallon is accurate. But you should still add an ammonia source to make sure you are fully cycled. If you don't want to go with raw shrimp then try getting some PURE ammonia and adding that and see how your tank parameters are after 24 hours. But make sure it is pure ammonia with no additives.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ahh some fish food to get it started

Old 09-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 90 gallon and 180 gallon reef. Both were cycled with live rock and cycled out in two weeks. I waited an extra week to be sure and everything was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the LR were wet all the time and considered cured then IMO there is not need to wait. As long as you did not cleaned the LR before putting it to your tank there should be no die off. Mixing the new sand with live sand is also a good idea. You can slowly add fish and monitor your parameter. The reason why you pay more for a true LR is because it has already the BB your need and you do not need to cycle it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com