New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my buddy at work has a 4' length 3' height and 2' width for sale and told me he would sell tank plus stand for 150. Sounds like it's worth it to me but also is that a good size for a saltwater tank?

i think it would be yeah. sounds like it would be either a 40 or 50 gallon tank and plus the stand is a great deal. it wouldn't be the biggest salt water tank out there, but it would be a pretty good size to start with. just make sure not to over stock it

Do you have any pictures of the tank? I have never seen a 48" tank that tall before unless it is a cube tank.. I would defiantly go and get the exact measurements and is it a reef ready tank? $150 is a little high to me but since the stand comes with it maybe. 55 gallon tanks you can get at Petco for $55.00 when they have their $1 gallon sale on. I had a non reef ready tank for a couple of years it was okay but i prefer a Reef Ready tank over a non reef ready tank because you don't have to change out the filters and clean those canister systems. But you will need to know how to plumb a reef ready tank switch sometimes can be a challenge. Go and check the build threads there should be a lot on here. Best of luck.

So my buddy at work has a 4' length 3' height and 2' width for sale and told me he would sell tank plus stand for 150. Sounds like it's worth it to me but also is that a good size for a saltwater tank?

If those dimensions are correct that would be a great deal. It would be at least 175 gallon tank, might be a little large for first time saltwater but if you took it step by step it's definitely an awesome deal.

I have a 65 gallon now and want to upgrade cause I really want a blue hippo and just a bigger tank lol

Yeah I know I was looking at filters and everything and was thinking how expensive it's going to be.. how is you're tank turning out?

Yeah I know I was looking at filters and everything and was thinking how expensive it's going to be.. how is you're tank turning out?

Not bad so far, I'm doing freshwater for now so probably cheaper. Less equipment anyway. I'm still sealing the plumbing but have substrate in at least. It's fun, gives me more things to tinker with.

IMG_0274.jpg
Here a picture of the tank. He had it for freshwater. Can't I always run a hob protein skimmer?

I'd definitely confirm the dimensions. That tank doesn't look that big. If it is that big it is about 180 gallons and a hob skimmer just isn't going to do a good job on hat large of a system.
As far as the dimensions a 3 foot tall tank can be a pain to clean as it is super deep. Especially once you start growing coraline algae. If you're going to do a reef you will need more intense lights as well since the tank is so deep

I was only going to have a fish tank no coral. I'm going to double check the measurements of the tank tomorrow. So what kind of filter do you think I should go with? Cause I was looking and I found a couple protein skimmers that says it can do 220 gallons

If the tank is 3ft wide 3ft height and 3 ft length will that be a good size tank for saltwater. I figured it will be about 160 gallons

I'd definitely get an overflow box and setup a sump for that large of a tank.

Do you have a link to the skimmers you were looking at?

I had a Corallife early on. My personal opinion is they are garbage. My LFS is now carrying Reef Octopus and swears by them.

Yeah I was leading towards the reef octocpus. I'm trying to avoid doing a overflow and everything right away.

That tank is not 4ft×3ftx2ft, not even close. Looks more like a 29 gallon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

29 gallon? If you read further up he has a 65 gallon now and this is obviously bigger than the one he had or I doubt he'd be interested. Maybe the same shape of a 29 tall but looks like most 150-155 gallons I've seen. It definitely looks two feet deep and is obviously taller than it is deep and wider than it is tall. Looks exactly like 4x3x2 to me. Here's a few just like it doing image search for 150 gallon fish tank:

IMG_1420.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 55
29 gallon? If you read further up he has a 65 gallon now and this is obviously bigger than the one he had or I doubt he'd be interested. Maybe the same shape of a 29 tall but looks like most 150-155 gallons I've seen. It definitely looks two feet deep and is obviously taller than it is deep and wider than it is tall. Looks exactly like 4x3x2 to me. Here's a few just like it doing image search for 150 gallon fish tank:

View attachment 296658

Back
Top Bottom