New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to get a bigger tank and I need some info. Right now I have a 20 gal. I have found a couple good deals on the internet for a 30 and a 37. Right now I have a hang on back skimmer and a 125 watt metal halide, that causes a lot of algae to grow by the way. Will these be good enough for the 30 or 37? Also if I do get this new tank what is the best way to transfer my livestock? Do I have to cycle the tank all over again? Thanks for the advice

They don't make 125 watt MH's. Do you mean 175 watts? And the light by itself will not cause algae problems, it's a combination of lighting and excess nutrients.

MH's usually cover about a 2'x2' area with light. 30 and 37 gallon tanks are 3' long so then ends of the tank will be dim.

It is possible you'll have to cycle the tank again. Are the tanks you are looking at currently setup and running with lr? Also make sure to ask the seller if they have ever treated the tank with copper medications.

I agree with Lance. How old is the light? An older light could cause some algae due to the light spectrum change.

If you add your current LR in the new tank and it is an adequate amount then you will be OK. You might suffer a small cycle but not the usual start up cycle.

Back
Top Bottom