Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to sgonzal6
If there is no fish in the tank should I have been getting a dark product from Day 1 or does it require fish in the tank to produce waste for the skimmer to get heavy action?

Old 12-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonzal6 View Post
If there is no fish in the tank should I have been getting a dark product from Day 1 or does it require fish in the tank to produce waste for the skimmer to get heavy action?
no. the Live rock has living things on/in it. The fish is needed (producing waste) to keep the cycle going, but the rock is one of the primary reasons for the skimmer. At least from what I've read anyway.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to sgonzal6
Sorry for the delay.
We tested the water again yesterday and the ammonia levels were also 0 and a the tank has an SG of 1.025.

But I am happy to report that the fish are swimming around great and not just hanging out under a rock worrying me. We have chalked it up to stress and being the only two living fish in the brand new environment.
The corals are looking good too.

Now I was informed that a tank requires fish or other waste producing organisms for the skimmer product to be dark colored. I am not sure of this 100% but it seemed the consensus with the people who I talked to.

I appreciate your help and talking me though all this.
Do you have any recommendations for specific literature that I should read?
How do you go about getting RODI water? Because buying it by the gallon is pretty expensive here.
Right now I am just crushing up a flake or two and sprinkling it in the tank, when the clowns see it they swim very fast up to it but don't seem to eat it. Should I just hang in there and see what happens? We totally spaced asking what they were fed in the store.

Thanks for all your help.

SMG
Old 12-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I first got my clowns they didn't eat either. Tried 3 different kinds of food then asked for advice on here. I forget who recommended it but marine flakes with garlic has been working for me. (omega one)
Supra

Tags
clowns, feeding, new tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com