New Tank - Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperDave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just obtained a 120 Gal. tank from a friend at work. He had it set up as a FW tank. I plan to set it up as a SW tank. (My first attempt. I do have two other FW tanks that have been doing great for years.) Along with the tank, I received filters, powerheads, etc...
I was wondering if anybody thought it would be OK to use the Magnum 350 Canister filter that came with the tank. I thought about removing the Carbon filter and just using the Micron Cartridge. Any thoughts?
I plan on having a DSB and LR. I have a long way to go and I am just getting started, but I figure that I have all winter to get things going.

If you are going to set up the tank as a reef with a DSB and 1 1/2-2lbs of LR per gal, you won't need any filtration other than a good skimmer. You could certainly use the Magnum for circulation if you wished, but I wouldn't use any media in it as it will become bio active and start producing nitrates. You could use the micron cartridge occasionally if you wanted to, but not all the time. I would look into setting the tank up with a sump and overflow. I would also buy the best skimmer I could afford. JMHO.
BTW, you'll need at least 10x flow in the tank...1200 gph.

Back
Top Bottom