Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

new tank idea!! need opinions!!

so ive been thinking of ways to set up my SW tank since im currently waitng to do so. my latest idea is that i use my 30 gallon tank 36x12x16 as my sump. then make a stand and on top house two cubes with a fish bridge in between the two . only thing im not sure about is lighting, and my filtration. i like the 25 gallon cubes which are 18x18x18. But im not a fan of MH but they dont make t5ho fixtures that small. so any suggrstions? also if im thinking right i could use two over flows and two return pumps for the sump right?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what would be the total measuremnts of the two tanks and your bridge?
That would be the size of lights you would need.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

well would i need to hang lights over the bridge? and itll be 44 inches total. so 36 used by tanks and 8 by the bridge
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i could extend it to 48 just all of this space wont be able to be seen. or i could cut it back to 36 inches and get that light which that'd result in smaller cubes
Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

would this work? they sell a 20" unit that might work for you if you dont want to do MH's.

EDIT: found this light too. not as bright though only 2 bulbs
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...0&pcatid=16770

As TC said you could always go with 1 light that goes across everything.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well the cubes are 18 inch not 20 and true. but i figured out i could re arrange things and get like 48 inches of space. so give me some ideas of tanks but theyd have to be able to have the fish bridge
Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

any ideas?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No ideas!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
is back to save the day!

Not to be a buzzkill or anything.. but i'll put my money on the fact that you never follow through with the whole "bridge" design. You think of it now.. but when you get to it.. it's going to be harder than you think. You need to cut square holes in each of the cubes, and then build a square cylinder that fits the square holes you cut perfectly, otherwise there will be leakage, even with good silicone coverage. Even if you do something like a cylindrical bridge, you would have to hollow out a gigantic acrylic rod.. depending on how big you plan on making the bridge ofcourse, but i can imagine hollowing out an acrylic rod would not be a fun job. Unless you have access to a fairly large drill press. And even then you run risk of not being able to cut all the way through the rod, and you also run the risk of shattering or warping the rod since acrylic gets hot and melts with very little cutting tension. When i was cutting my acrylic sheets to size, maybe 3 or 4 full blade strokes and the chips coming off of the acrylic were very hot.

In all honesty.. the whole "bridge" idea sounds pretty ridiculous.. and a little risky. Plus.. if you make it a small bridge.. what are you going to put in it? And how will you know if the fish or livestock will even be smart enough to go through it lol. And then cleaning it?? Dear lord.. i'm sure that will be the funnest part. Unless you intend to just let it turn green and get completely opaque with algae coverage.. but then that would sort of be pointless right? No pun intended.. but it sounds like a pipe-dream.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

the second sets of lights I listed are 18". you could just use a 36" fixture. if you want to use the 25 cubes or go with some lower wattage MH's or even LED's.

If you want to do it go for it. just so you dont give up because people have said you would have to hollow out a acrylic cylinder, you can purchase acrylic tubes at any plastic supplier. I have seen them range is wall thicknesses from 1/16" to 3/8" and I am sure they have more sizes than that. so if you went with an acrylic tank that would be the way to go. for a glass tank you would want to go with a glass cylinder (silicone doesnt bond too well to acrylic) that I am sure you can get, or a giant bulk head.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com