New Tank... Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh10985

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I posted this in the new member area but didn't get any replies.. Maybe this is the best spot.

I am about to make the plunge and buy a salt water tank. I have been looking on craigslist for a Hex tank. I love how they look and it would fit perfectly in the corner of my room. I found a user selling a 40Gal with stand. He has Metal Halide lights with built in fans, extra heaters, power heads, timers and a few other things. He also has a sump he said he will throw in, but he said it will not fit under the tank inside the stand. Do they make smaller sumps, or should I just go with a filter that sits on top of the tank and filters the water (called a skimmer?). What is a good skimmer model?

Would this work?
CPR Bak-Pak Protein Skimmer

I just want to get pointed in the right direction and get some advice. I like the tank, went to look at it, but want to know about the filtration and how much of a hassel it will be. He said the lights he has for it are about $350 and are 3 months old. I am not sure if I want it to be a reef or a live rock tank. This would be my first salt water tank so what would be easiest to start with?

What do you think?

Welcome to AA! You can make a sump anysize you want with bigger always a better choice. The skimmer is placed in your sump as is most of your other tank equip. lkie heaters and return pumps. Live rock is your major filter in a reef tank as well as a Fish only with liverock. There are many good skimmers out there and I'll let someone else point you in that direction. It looks like the above system would be a good one for you. Be sure to read up on how to cycle your AQ without live fish.

Back
Top Bottom