New Tank or Move House?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a new aquarium which i set up in my garage while my landlord has some work done below our apartment. The plan was i would sell my old tank which is a 2 foot cube and then move my new one up from the garage. I was then told by my landlord he doesn't want the tank in the flat because of the weight and water volume. Its 4 foot in length by 2.5 foot in height and 2 foot in depth making it about 560 litres. This is more than double my old tank.

My landlord has told me he has a structural engineer visiting the property next Friday and depending on what he says i will have a better understanding of what the floor might be capable of holding (even though there's a structural wall directly below where i want to place the aquarium).

I mentioned to him buying a new aquarium and basically starting from scratch and the tank i had in mind was 390 litres. His response was dont rush out and buy anything until the engineer has been. Fair enough! He then said that 390 litres would be the absolute extreme. I'm guessing he means the biggest.

To add to all this stress he gave me the electric bill for the garage and we owe him £220 for the 6 weeks the big tank has been in there. This is due to heating a very cold room and maintaining a water temperature.

We've been looking for a new place for a while now and cant seem to find anything that is as good if not better than the place we have withought paying a massive amount more.

So option 1: Move house, get the tank I want
Option 2: Stay and downgrade.

Very frustrating and knowing my tank is downstairs with fish in it is even more discerning.

Wow that a big electric bill! The whole situation stinks. I would wait and see what the engineer says next week, but I wouldn't move and pay a massive amount more every month or live in a place less nice just to have a bigger tank. I would just get the biggest tank that he says you can have and go with that. I know it's not great, since you already have the bigger tank, but that's what I would do.

I'm swaying towards the idea of another tank. My old tank was only 216 litres so if i can get one thats around 400 litres i guess thats not too bad.

I've recently removed corals and a few fish and set up a nano reef in my lounge. Thsi has enabled me to remove some lighting and turn the lights down in the garage so they only come on a few hours.

Beengirl do you remember that Sebae i had in my old tank? Well he's still around infact he's downstairs in the bigger aquarium. I was tempted to bring him up and put him in my 70L but i worry its too small for a nem like that.

Who knows i may even get a custom built aquarium for the place we're in now. Its just been a heck of a waiting game! :(

I'm swaying towards the idea of another tank. My old tank was only 216 litres so if i can get one thats around 400 litres i guess thats not too bad.

I've recently removed corals and a few fish and set up a nano reef in my lounge. Thsi has enabled me to remove some lighting and turn the lights down in the garage so they only come on a few hours.

Beengirl do you remember that Sebae i had in my old tank? Well he's still around infact he's downstairs in the bigger aquarium. I was tempted to bring him up and put him in my 70L but i worry its too small for a nem like that.

Who knows i may even get a custom built aquarium for the place we're in now. Its just been a heck of a waiting game! :(

I'm so happy about the nem!!! Glad he has pulled through! You did a great job with that!! :) so it's not in the tank by itself anymore? Is there a clown with it? How's it's coloring?

Are you sure that electric bill is correct?

That is about the same as it has cost for gas and electric for my whole house for the same period and that includes two fish tanks ( one 450 litres )!

Yes wingman what you have to remember there was a plug in electric heater heating the actual garage and I left it on all day every day for about 6 weeks. I've removed this now and added an extra heater to the aquarium.

Beengirl the nems colour is not back to normal yet an I removed the clowns and put them in the flat. So he's kinda alone!

Well at least the nem is still with us. :) Glad to hear it! Good luck with the engineer!

Ahh, that explains it! Wasn't trying to be rude just thought you might have been overchared

Ahh, that explains it! Wasn't trying to be rude just thought you might have been overchared

Yeah I totally understand but I checked all that out and looks like I was the one at fault. Eh well it's good for now just biting my nails. Sucks cos its cold and wet outside and I hate having to go down there in this weather to maintain the tank!

Back
Top Bottom