New tank setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TH2013

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

This is my first post but I have been reading on this site for a long time. I am about to start the process of upgrading my 20gallon nano to a 40 gallon. I am working on building the stand this weekend, and drilling the new tank. I have a few questions though.

I would like to use the current 20 gallon for a sump in my new setup. What is the best way for me to transfer everything in my nano to the new setup while still being able to have time to properly build my sump? I have an idea of how I am going to do it but I need a few tips.

Should I expect a cycle if I move everything from the twenty into the 40? I am hoping by simply getting the 40 ready, then moving the sand and live rock over that I won't get a spike. I will move as much water over as possible also.

Would it be a bad idea to purchase new sand for the 40, and put the sand from the 20 into the sump and use it for a deep sand bed in the sump?

Since I am building my own stand, is there anything in particular that you really wish your stand included? I am hoping to have as much concealed as possibly, including the lights, but at the same time I don't not want to have a bulky looking setup, any tips?

Finally and I probably should have asked this first but where is the best spot to drill the 40? I am thinking that I will go center of the back about 4 inches down but everybody seems to have different setups, I am curious as to what would be the ideal placement.

Thanks for reading this far and I look forward to everybody's tips along the way!

Can I ask why? I'm not questioning, I just want to learn :)

No real reason you might see some die off in the live sand during transfer, typically that new tank deserves done new sand IMO. Whatever you do there is no need to rinse your present sand that would eliminate much of the BB.

I guess I see what you are saying. I'd really like to pick up a fine sugar sand, any experience with that fine of a grain?

None here I use bare bottom and crushed coral. I do think sugar sand is awesome and my next big tank will for sure use it!

Really depends on the sand bed.

How old and how deep is your sand bed?

If deep sand bed it's best to just go with fresh sand or heavily rinse your old as there will be a lot of trapped organics and other toxins. Just seed with a cup or two of old sand.

Less of a concern if you have a shallow sand bed that gets sifted a lot(engineer goby). You should still rinse shallow sand bed a little to get rid of any trapped organics.

I would recommend live rock instead of a sand bed in your sump.

Thank you for the replies! The current tank has been set up for about 6 months. My biggest concern is starting my cycle over again....

Shallow or deep sand bed?

It's not that old. You can probably get away with just light rinsing in old tank water.

Depending how deep it is currently and how deep you like your sand bed you may be adding more sand to the 40 anyways.

Shallow? It is 1" at the front, sloped to 2" at the back. I'm thinking I might just take your advice and get new sand, since I would like to go with a finer one anyways.

Any suggestions on my other questions about the cycle and drilling? I'd like to take my time and plan this out the best possible so I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again!

You may not experience a cycle if you move everything.

Can't help you with drilling as I don't have any drilled tanks.

Ok sounds good, I will try to make sure that I move all the rock with having it out of the water too long.
For the old sand I am thinking that I will put the old sand in the sump for now, so that I will keep the BB and then I will take it out slowly over time to not cause a cycle.

I'm hoping to do it all this weekend so I will try to post pictures next week. I am in the process of running the RO/DI to get enough water to fill the tank but I just have a small 50 gallon per day so it is taking a while....

Might be a good idea drain the 20 down to the top of your rock work putting that water into the 40. Next fill the 40 up half way with fresh saltwater and then start moving rock from the 20 straight into the 40. That should eliminate any die off potential.

That makes sense, I was thinking of buckets but with my luck I would tip at least one over, and my wife lose it lol

Back
Top Bottom