Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New tank setup!

Hello all,

This is my first post but I have been reading on this site for a long time. I am about to start the process of upgrading my 20gallon nano to a 40 gallon. I am working on building the stand this weekend, and drilling the new tank. I have a few questions though.

I would like to use the current 20 gallon for a sump in my new setup. What is the best way for me to transfer everything in my nano to the new setup while still being able to have time to properly build my sump? I have an idea of how I am going to do it but I need a few tips.

Should I expect a cycle if I move everything from the twenty into the 40? I am hoping by simply getting the 40 ready, then moving the sand and live rock over that I won't get a spike. I will move as much water over as possible also.

Would it be a bad idea to purchase new sand for the 40, and put the sand from the 20 into the sump and use it for a deep sand bed in the sump?

Since I am building my own stand, is there anything in particular that you really wish your stand included? I am hoping to have as much concealed as possibly, including the lights, but at the same time I don't not want to have a bulky looking setup, any tips?

Finally and I probably should have asked this first but where is the best spot to drill the 40? I am thinking that I will go center of the back about 4 inches down but everybody seems to have different setups, I am curious as to what would be the ideal placement.

Thanks for reading this far and I look forward to everybody's tips along the way!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with new sand for sure... My two cents

Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can I ask why? I'm not questioning, I just want to learn
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No real reason you might see some die off in the live sand during transfer, typically that new tank deserves done new sand IMO. Whatever you do there is no need to rinse your present sand that would eliminate much of the BB.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I guess I see what you are saying. I'd really like to pick up a fine sugar sand, any experience with that fine of a grain?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

None here I use bare bottom and crushed coral. I do think sugar sand is awesome and my next big tank will for sure use it!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really depends on the sand bed.

How old and how deep is your sand bed?

If deep sand bed it's best to just go with fresh sand or heavily rinse your old as there will be a lot of trapped organics and other toxins. Just seed with a cup or two of old sand.

Less of a concern if you have a shallow sand bed that gets sifted a lot(engineer goby). You should still rinse shallow sand bed a little to get rid of any trapped organics.

I would recommend live rock instead of a sand bed in your sump.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for the replies! The current tank has been set up for about 6 months. My biggest concern is starting my cycle over again....
Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shallow or deep sand bed?

It's not that old. You can probably get away with just light rinsing in old tank water.

Depending how deep it is currently and how deep you like your sand bed you may be adding more sand to the 40 anyways.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Shallow? It is 1" at the front, sloped to 2" at the back. I'm thinking I might just take your advice and get new sand, since I would like to go with a finer one anyways.

Any suggestions on my other questions about the cycle and drilling? I'd like to take my time and plan this out the best possible so I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com